[OYAN] Teen Tech Week, teen WWE reading challenge, best YA lit from 2013, and a report on the future of teen services

Katie Anderson katie.anderson at state.or.us
Tue Feb 4 10:42:34 PST 2014

The following is information from ALA's Young Adult Library Services Association (YALSA) newsletter:

DIY @ your library
Teen Tech Week(tm) will be here before you know it!  Get ideas and resources to help you plan great events in order to raise awareness in your community about the great digital resources and services you offer teens and their families: www.ala.org/teentechweek<http://www.ala.org/teentechweek>.  TTW is scheduled for March 9 - 15.

Win $5,000 for your Library via the WrestleMania Reading Challenge
YALSA is joining with WWE and We Give Books to launch a totally new and improved WrestleMania Reading Challenge for 2014.  Libraries that plan activities around the Challenge can be eligible for $5,000 grants!  Get the details at www.ala.org/wrestlemania<http://www.ala.org/wrestlemania>.  Kids, tweens and teens can visit http://wwereadingsuperstar.com/ now through March 7 to read with their favorite Reading Tag Team Partner and enter to win a trip to WrestleMania XXX in New Orleans.

What's the Future of Library Services for and with Teens?
Find out in this new report from YALSA!  Visit www.ala.org/yaforum/project-report<http://www.ala.org/yaforum/project-report> to download the free report and executive summary.  Please share these documents widely with library colleagues, partners, and other stakeholders.  Want to learn more about how you can make some of the changes called for in the report?  Mark your calendars for Mondays in March, when YALSA will hold open, online discussions via Google Hangouts.

Announcing the Best YA Literature of 2013!
Last week YALSA announced the winners of our book and media awards: Alex, Edwards, Morris, Nonfiction, Odyssey and Printz.  We've also posted our final lists of recommended reading.  They can be found at www.ala.org/yalsa/booklists<http://www.ala.org/yalsa/booklists>.  We hope these resources will be helpful to you as you build library collections and plan readers' advisory activities.

For more YALSA events and information, visit http://wikis.ala.org/yalsa/index.php/Calendar_of_Events

or

https://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=yalsa@ala.org&ctz=America/Chicago&gsessionid=OK