[OYAN] Boundaries, Phone Calls, and Recent High School Grads

Barratt Miller BMiller at crooklib.org
Tue Nov 4 15:15:04 PST 2014

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have any effective strategies or conversational scripts for delineating boundaries with recently-graduated teens who are calling you at work just to chat? I have a former TLC member who left a voicemail on my work phone basically wanting to talk about anime with me.

She lives in another town right now, lacks transportation, and can't come by the library to see me in person. I'm fine handling these kinds of interactions face-to-face, but I don't know how to explain the limits of the situation over the phone.

Without hurting her feelings, I want to convey that: As her former mentor, I'd love to hear from her from time to time to hear how she's doing and to help connect her with career information. I can chat for a couple of minutes if she's visiting the library in person or answer a specific question via phone, but I can't be available by phone the way I was available in person when she was a teen/volunteer at the library.

Thanks,
Barratt

Barratt Miller, MSLIS
Assistant Director
Crook County Library
175 NW Meadow Lakes Drive
Prineville, OR 97754
541-447-7978 ext 303
bmiller at crooklib.org<mailto:bmiller at crooklib.org>
Crook County Library - Experience the Journey!