[OYAN] Resources: Core Values for Teen Librarians, Teen Read Week, Teen SRP, professional development badges

Katie Anderson katie.anderson at state.or.us
Fri Aug 14 11:21:20 PDT 2015

Core Professional Values for Library Staff Serving Teens
This new document from YALSA includes nine core values that define professionalism for those who work for and with teens through libraries. Additionally, this document provides examples of sample indicators for practices that resonate with each value.  View them online:
www.ala.org/yalsa/core-professional-values-teen-services-profession<http://www.ala.org/yalsa/core-professional-values-teen-services-profession>

Show what You Know!
YALSA's Badges for Librarians are sort of like those old Girl Scout badges-except ours are digital and they show what skills library staff have mastered in relation to serving teens.  Help get the word out about this free continuing education resource and learn more at http://yalsabadges.ala.org/

An Easy Way to Wrap up Summer Reading/Learning
The 2015 Teens' Top Ten nominated titles have been posted online since April.  Beginning Aug. 15th and running through Teen Read Week(tm), please help YALSA by encouraging the teens in your state to go online and vote for their favorite books at www.ala.org/yalsa/reads4teens<http://www.ala.org/yalsa/reads4teens>.  Bookmark the page on your web site and join the discussion on Twitter with #ttt15.

It's Not too Late to Plan a Great Teen Read Week(tm)!
We have everything libraries need to plan great TRW activities at www.ala.org/teenread<http://www.ala.org/teenread>.  We're encouraging libraries to reach out and engage teens who don't normally come to the library, whether they're homeless, in foster care, recent immigrants or some other segment of the community.  Reaching some of these groups can be a challenge, but YALSA has resources to help on our wiki: http://ow.ly/QcA3p

For more events and information, visit http://wikis.ala.org/yalsa/index.php/Calendar_of_Events or https://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=yalsa@ala.org&ctz=America/Chicago&gsessionid=OK

Questions? Contact
Beth Yoke
Executive Director
Young Adult Library Services Association
1.800.545.2433 x4391
byoke at ala.org<mailto:byoke at ala.org>

[Slogan Text][Cooper_laughing]
Summer Reading 2015 at Oregon libraries<http://libdir.osl.state.or.us/>!
Find a summer food site<http://www.summerfoodoregon.org/>.

Katie Anderson, Youth Services Consultant
Library Support and Development Services<http://www.oregon.gov/osl/LD/pages/index.aspx>