[OYAN] Grant/resource opportunity: Apply for a set of 40 robots to inspire young coders

Katie Anderson katie.anderson at state.or.us
Wed Jan 7 08:22:05 PST 2015

I just learned about this opportunity for libraries:

The Finch: A Robot Designed for Computer Science Education

Application and requirements: http://www.finchrobot.com/loan-program/application

Questions? Contact
BirdBrain Technologies
info at finchrobot.com<mailto:info at finchrobot.com>
1-888-371-6161

At Birdbrain Technologies we are firm believers that all kids should have the chance to learn coding and computational thinking skills. We aim to provide diverse access to our robots and get them in front of all students, so they can begin to imagine, create, and expand their exposure to computer science.

The Finch robot loan [to own] program is one avenue for us to broaden the reach of our robots and inspire young coders across the country... Our goal was to catalyze coding and computer science learning experiences for students who might not ordinarily have the opportunity to program a robot as part of their typical classroom experience. During 2014 we loaned out hundreds of Finch robots to school districts across the country and reached over 15,000 students. Building on the success of our initial loan program, in 2015 we are expanding the program to serve not only schools, but also libraries.

Currently the Chicago Public Library<http://www.chipublib.org/tag/finch-robots/> and the Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh have fleets of robots available for public use. We are excited to see what other libraries around the country can do with the Finches!

Libraries that create innovative and engaging content will be eligible for the program to convert from loan to own. We are excited to donate the Finches to organizations demonstrating high community engagement.

We will be shipping robots in batches of 40, and we would like each robot to be used by a minimum of five different students during the course of the month.

Katie Anderson, Library Support and Development Services

[StoryTime_GrandeRonde.png]<http://storytimeoregon.com/community-partners/partner-downloads/>
Become a StORytime<http://storytimeoregon.com/community-partners/become-a-partner/> partner!