[OYAN] Youth Services Position in Northern California
katie.anderson at state.or.us
Mon Apr 25 08:32:37 PDT 2016
I thought some of you might be interested in the following job opportunity.-Katie
Nevada County Library is hiring a Youth Services Librarian!
Nevada County is a rural community located in the foothills of the California Sierra Nevada Mountains.
Apply online: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/mynevadacounty/jobs/1409473/librarian-i
Closes May 5th
Definition and Class Characteristics
This position is considered a Youth Services Librarian I and serves both the Madelyn Helling Library and the Grass Valley Library Branches.
The eligible list established from this recruitment will be used to fill part-time and full-time, regular or temporary positions as vacancies occur or the need arises.
Under general supervision, performs professional library work in the Nevada County Library System; manages, directs and implements a major service area and/or a branch library; performs a variety of administrative and operational functions in support of the Library Department; and performs related work as required.
This is the entry level classification in the professional librarian series. Incumbents are responsible for a major countywide library program under the direction of the County Librarian or designee, and may supervise subordinate staff in a designated program area.
Examples of Duties
* Plans, coordinates, and directs assigned program services to effectively meet the needs of the library system
* Supervises, trains, and evaluates the work of assigned staff
* Selects books and other materials to effectively meet the needs of the Library's patrons consistent with the County Library's goals and objectives
* Reviews book collection to determine the need for additions, deletions, and repairs
* Provides information as requested by patrons including reference material, referrals to other sources of information, providing assistance to school children and suggesting titles of interest upon request
* Consults with teachers, parents, children and the general public on choice of books within a designated program area
* Plans special programs and displays
* Works with and maintains effective rapport with community organizations and special groups of patrons
* Assists in formulating library policies, procedures and operational systems
* Prepares data and information for budgeting and monitoring progress as requested
* Consults with other libraries regarding book/materials selection, loans and related communications
* Represents the county library on various committees, community organizations, at workshops, and outreach activities
Knowledge and Skills Required
* Professional library principles, practices, methods and materials
* Library reference materials and procedures, and cataloging and classification techniques
* Community patron and reader interest levels and corresponding books and authors available
* Basic reference methods, and techniques used in library work
* Library organization, services and equipment
* Principles and practices of library automation systems
* Learning the county library systems, book selection, operations and organization
* Understanding and following a variety of complex directions in both verbal and written forms
* Communicating clearly, concisely, and effectively in both verbal and written forms and preparing related reports
* Planning, coordinating, supervising, and evaluating the work of assigned staff
* Establishing and maintaining priorities and objectives for self and others
* Developing and implementing library services consistent with county library's goals and objectives as well as patron's needs
* Selecting appropriate books and materials to meet patrons' needs
* Establishing and maintaining cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work
Education and Experience Required
Possession of a Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university in Library Science, Information Science, Liberal Arts, Humanities, English, Communication or related field plus two years' experience equivalent to County of Nevada's Library Technician; OR, active enrollment in an accredited MLS or MLIS program with satisfactory completion of a majority of coursework, with diploma received within two years of date of hire, plus either two years' experience equivalent to County of Nevada's Library Technician or five years as Library Assistant I/II/III; OR, Master's Degree in Library Science or Library Information Science from an accredited college or university, preferred.
Licenses and Certificates:
Possession of a valid driver's license within 30 days of hire.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
Mobility to work in a standard office environment, use standard office equipment and attend off-site meetings; manual dexterity to use standard office equipment and supplies and to manipulate both single sheets of paper and large document holders (binders, manuals, etc.); vision to read handwritten and printed materials and a computer screen; hearing and speech to communicate in person and by telephone.
Willingness and ability to work evening and weekend shifts.
Some accommodations may be made for some physical demands for otherwise qualified individuals who require and request such accommodations.
$45,332.04 - $55,341.12 Annually
Josie Laine Andrews, Librarian II
Nevada County Library
Grass Valley Library - Royce Branch
207 Mill St., Grass Valley, CA 95945
josie.andrews at co.nevada.ca.us<mailto:josie.andrews at co.nevada.ca.us>
To change your subscription settings, including changing to a digest or to leave the list, please send an email to szach at amrms.com<mailto:szach at amrms.com>.
Katie Anderson, Youth Services Consultant
Library Support and Development Services<http://www.oregon.gov/osl/LD/pages/index.aspx>
Oregon State Library, 250 Winter St. NE, Salem, OR 97301
katie.anderson at state.or.us<mailto:katie.anderson at state.or.us>, 503-378-2528
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 20555 bytes
More information about the OYAN