[OYAN] Nutrition and wellness programs survey

Katie Anderson katie.anderson at state.or.us
Fri Apr 29 08:44:06 PDT 2016

Oregon Afterschool for Kids (OregonASK) is our statewide network for everyone who provides programming for children and teens when they are not in school. They are collecting data to learn what nutrition/wellness activities are being provided by out-of-school providers, like libraries, and where those health/wellness activities are located to identify gaps. This data will help OregonASK support programs and policies that make sure youth statewide have access to nutrition/wellness activities when they aren't in school. Below is the original email from OregonASK if you want more information.

Please have one person at your library take this survey by June 1st<https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/oregonasknutritionsurvey> and feel free to forward this email to other out-of-school providers you know.

Questions? Contact:

Malachite Wyld

nutritionsurvey at oregonask.org<mailto:nutritionsurvey at oregonask.org>

(503)689-1656

Thanks,

Katie

________________________________

Hello,

My name is Malachite Wyld, and I am an AmeriCorps VISTA (Volunteer in Service to America) working with Beth Unverzagt and Oregon Afterschool for Kids (OregonASK). If you are not familiar with us, we are a collaboration of public and private organizations that advocate for afterschool programs and professionals in the state of Oregon. There is more information on us, and our partners the Afterschool Alliance, at the end of this email if you would like to know more.

OregonASK, in partnership with the Afterschool Alliance, is conducting a statewide survey of out-of-school time programs wellness and nutrition practices. Currently, there is no comprehensive database of this information, which makes it difficult to assess what practices are best and what resources are most needed. With this survey, we hope to collect information to better support wellness in out-of-school-time. Data from this survey will be used to create a report that will be shared with lawmakers in order to promote legislation and funding to support out-of-school wellness practices.

We greatly appreciate you taking a few minutes to help us in this endeavor. If you are a program director or manager, please complete the survey by following https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/oregonasknutritionsurvey. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me at nutritionsurvey at oregonask.org<mailto:nutritionsurvey at oregonask.org> or (503)689-1656 (ask for Malachite Wyld). We will be collecting data through June, so you may see this email from us more than once. We don't want to pester you, but we do want to be thorough and collect the best possible data to share with lawmakers.

Please pass this email (and the attachment) along to any out-of-school programs you might know and ask them to complete the survey. We are casting a broad net and trying to collect information on as many programs as possible. The more comprehensive our data is, the better we will be able to advocate with lawmakers on the behalf of out-of-school time wellness and nutrition needs.

Once more, here is the link to the survey:  https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/oregonasknutritionsurvey

Thank you so much for your time and support!

Malachite Wyld

nutritionsurvey at oregonask.org<mailto:nutritionsurvey at oregonask.org>

(503)689-1656

More information about OregonASK and the Afterschool Alliance:

The mission of OregoASK is to support, expand, and advocate for quality out-of-school time programs and activities for children, youth, and families throughout Oregon. We are part of the National Afterschool Network - a 47 state initiative, which seeks to improve the quality and fiscal sustainability of afterschool and summer programs across the country. A key partner of ours is the Afterschool Alliance, the national advocacy organization for afterschool and summer programs. They work with the Federal Administration, the U.S. Congress, governors, mayors and advocate across the country to support afterschool and summer programs like yours. If you would like more information on OregonASK or the Afterschool Alliance, you can visit our websites at www.oregonask.org and www.afterschoolalliance.org<http://www.afterschoolalliance.org>.

Katie Anderson, Youth Services Consultant
Library Support and Development Services<http://www.oregon.gov/osl/LD/pages/index.aspx>

[http://www.ala.org/aasl/sites/ala.org.aasl/files/content/aaslissues/slm/AASL_SLM2016_468x60_0.png]<http://www.ala.org/aasl/slm>