[OYAN] FYI: Foster Care Crisis in Oregon

Katie Anderson katie.anderson at state.or.us
Tue Aug 2 13:17:43 PDT 2016

Forwarded on behalf of Stephanie Lind.

________________________________
Hello Oregon library friends -

As I'm sure you are aware, there is a crisis in our Oregon foster care system. You may have heard this story on OPB about the situation: http://www.opb.org/news/article/temporary-housing-for-foster-kids-in-crisis/ . See the message below from Washington County's DHS district manager Rolanda Garcia for a local example of what is going on.

For the past few months, Washington County DHS has been experiencing a serious shortage of licensed foster homes. This shortage has created the need for caseworkers, supervisors, managers and other staff to be available 24/7 to supervise and tend to kids who cannot be placed with a family in a home setting. In addition, kids have had to spend the night in either hotels or the office when a licensed family is not available.

Kids coming into foster care experience serious trauma from abuse and removal. This is compounded by our inability to place them with a family. We have had one 15 yrs. Old child who has been in and out of our office for over a month without a potential placement resource.

Anyone who has an interest in foster care can contact me or any of our DHS offices<http://www.oregon.gov/DHS/Offices/Pages/Child-Welfare.aspx> to be certified. We are also looking to see if we can utilize local providers to provide care during the work hours so case workers can get to their other work. Volunteers are always welcome as well, and can be used to assist in the office when necessary. They would have to go through our volunteer program.

If you have any questions about the current situation, please let me know.

Thanks,

Rolanda Garcia

rolanda.garcia at state.or.us<mailto:rolanda.garcia at state.or.us>

Our DHS partners are in need of our help. More than that, foster kids are in need of our help! We as librarians are creative, resourceful and connected. I implore you to think of ways you can help better the circumstances for foster kids. Maybe it's as simple as posting a flier in your library for your local DHS office about the opportunities mentioned by Rolanda.

Please share this out in any way you can.

Thank you for anything you can do!

Your partner is serving Oregon kids and families, Stephanie Lind

Stephanie Lind | Program Supervisor for Outreach & Youth Service
Washington County, Oregon | Washington County Cooperative Library Services
phone 503-681-5090 | http://www.wccls.org<http://www.wccls.org/>
Follow us on Twitter @wccls<http://twitter.com/wccls>  and Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/wccls>
http://www.wccls.org/espanol and Facebook en Español<https://www.facebook.com/BibliotecasWCCLS>

P Save paper, toner, and energy. Avoid printing emails whenever possible!