[OYAN] Oregon's (ODE's) #GoOpen Initiative & Open Educational Resources

Katie Anderson katie.anderson at state.or.us
Fri Mar 4 08:24:35 PST 2016

Please pardon the cross-posting. While opportunities to participate are only available to those associated with school districts right now, I thought some of you might want to know what’s going on.

Hi. I thought some of you might be interested in the press release below from the Oregon Department of Education. ODE (Oregon) has joined #GoOpen with other “states from across the country in committing to support the use of high-quality, openly licensed educational resources in our schools.” So far, Beaverton is the only Launch district listed<http://tech.ed.gov/open-education/go-open-districts/>, but Carla Wade from ODE told me that other districts are welcome to participate.

The press release did not mention Oregon’s involvement in the K-12 OER (open educational resources) Collaborate that ODE announced<http://www.ode.state.or.us/news/announcements/announcement.aspx?ID=10538> in February 2015, so I asked Carla about that, too. This is her response: “The K-12 OER Collaborative work is one part of what we are doing. The first step was joining the exchange. Next we will be building a plan and implementing usage of OER. It will be very important to have libraries involved!”

She read my mind with that last statement, and that’s why I’m alerting you. If you’re interested in lending your expertise and time to the OER cause, you might want to find out what your district is doing in that area.

Oregon’s #GoOpen info (click on “read more”): http://www.oregonednet.org/groups/go-open
National #GoOpen info: http://tech.ed.gov/open-education/
K-12 OER Collaborative: http://k12oercollaborative.org/

FYI,