[OYAN] New Toolkit for Summer Learning in Libraries

Katie Anderson katie.anderson at state.or.us
Mon Oct 10 15:16:30 PDT 2016

Libraries at the Center of Summer Learning and Fun: An Online Toolkit to Expand from Summer Reading to Summer Learning<http://www.urbanlibraries.org/filebin/pdfs/ULC_NSLA_SummerLearningOnlineToolkit.pdf>
I highly recommend skimming the entire 16 page document, focusing on the five strategies to evolve summer reading into summer learning on pages 8-12. Each strategy includes a description, tips for implementation, and real-library examples of what the strategy looks like in action.

*         Engage team members across the library.

*         Connect summer reading with other library services to create an integrated learning program.

*         Start planning [your summer program] in September.

*         Initiate and cultivate intentional partnerships with schools, museums, and other partners.

*         Plan programming with clear learning goals.

The other parts of the toolkit are worth skimming over and pulling out what might be helpful to you. They include links to resources to help make the case for summer learning at your library and in your community, model library summer learning programs with examples from real libraries, and public relations tips and resources.

Katie Anderson, MLS, Youth Services Consultant
Library Support and Development Services<http://www.oregon.gov/osl/LD/pages/index.aspx>