[OYAN] Citation Maker Updates: More Options for Citing Images in MLA & Spam Prompt Removed

Jennifer Maurer jennifer.maurer at state.or.us
Thu Oct 12 08:38:02 PDT 2017

Please pardon the cross-posting.

Good Morning,

The OSLIS committee worked with our hosting vendor to make some updates to Citation Maker. This is in response to feedback from Citation Maker users.

The CAPTCHA that prompted users to enter a number to prevent spam traffic has been removed from all instances of Citation Maker. Instead, we are using something behind the scenes that is only visible to bots. Our vendor cleared the cache for all Citation Maker links in their server. If you cannot open the templates in the Source Type column, you will need to clear your browser's cache one time. A note to that effect is on the Citation Maker landing pages and will remain there for at least three months.

Also, last year when we went live with the MLA 8 update on Citation Maker, we only offered the option to cite images or artwork that were seen in person, like for artwork viewed at a museum. The reason is because that was the only guidance that the MLA Handbook offered. MLA has slowly addressed questions about citing images in their Style Center FAQ<https://style.mla.org/category/ask-the-mla/>. Based on the new guidance, we updated the related template on MLA Citation Maker, for both the elementary<http://elementary.oslis.org/cite-sources> and secondary<http://secondary.oslis.org/cite-sources> instances. The template can now be used to cite images and artwork that you saw in person, in a book, in a periodical, in an image database, or on a website.

If you have questions, please ask.

Thank you to Marlene Lee, OSLIS Chairperson, for the many hours she volunteered to work on this project!

Thanks,
Jen

Jen Maurer, MLS
School Library Consultant
State Library of Oregon |Library Support and Development
jennifer.maurer at state.or.us<mailto:jennifer.maurer at state.or.us> | 503-378-5011 | www.oregon.gov/osl/ld<http://www.oregon.gov/osl/ld>