[OYAN] Black Panther viewing guide and discussion questions

Katie Anderson katiea at wccls.org
Fri Feb 16 13:04:55 PST 2018

Black Panther comes out this weekend and is likely to be popular among teens. I thought some of you might like the Black Panther viewing guide put together by Define American, UndocuBlack Network, and the Harry Potter Alliance. Here are a few discussion questions to give you an idea what it is:

  *   Bambadjan Bamba, who plays a military leader in Black Panther recently made the decision to join Define American's “coming out” campaign, revealing his undocumented immigration status after living in the United States for 25 years. He immigrated from the Ivory Coast with his family in 1992, fleeing political persecution. How do you define American?
  *   In our world the over-consumption and extraction of natural resources disproportionately impacts communities of color and is more often than not driven by colonialism. How did you see this reflected in the movie?

You can learn more and download (for free) other materials for hosting a conversation about Black Panther here: https://defineamerican.com/blackpanther/

Thanks,

[X]
Katie Anderson, Youth Services Librarian
Washington County Cooperative Library Services
katiea at wccls.org, 503-681-5098