[OYAN] Mathical Book Prize Winners // Teaching Students to Legally Use Images Online

Jennifer Maurer jennifer.maurer at state.or.us
Fri Feb 23 12:41:03 PST 2018

Please pardon the cross-posting.

Hi,

I ran across an excellent post by Jennifer Gonzalez on her Cult of Pedagogy blog. "Teaching Students to Legally Use Images Online" offers information, tips, and resources to help students find and credit images. I was a bit bummed that she didn't mention working with librarians to teach students about this topic, but someone mentioned that in a comment at the end of the post. In a different comment, Kathleen Morris pointed to a similar post focused on helping younger students find images.

            https://www.cultofpedagogy.com/online-images/

            http://primarytech.global2.vic.edu.au/2017/10/09/where-to-find-free-images-for-students-and-teachers/

On a different topic, have you ever heard of the Mathical Book Prize award? It was new to me. This is from the Mathical website: "Math is more than numbers and equations! The Mathical Book Prize is an annual award for fiction and nonfiction books that inspire children of all ages to see math in the world around them. Award-winning Mathical titles are selected by a nationwide committee of mathematicians, educators, librarians, early childhood experts, and others. Each year's selections joins a growing list of stories ranging from picture books and graphic novels to chapter books and young adult literature. Explore our collection of stories for ages 2-18, with 53 titles to date." Check out the list.

http://www.mathicalbooks.org/

Happy Friday!

Jen

Jen Maurer, MLS