[OYAN] OLA EDIA Committee’s Meaningful Support for BIPOC Library Workers statement: Message of Support from The Unpacking Discussion Group

Unpacking Discussion Group unpackingdiscussion at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 15:55:17 PST 2022

Please excuse the cross-posting

Oregon Library Association Equity, Diversity, Inclusion and Anti-Racism
Committee’s Meaningful Support for BIPOC Library Workers statement: Message
of Support from The Unpacking Discussion Group

We have been called in. We need to do better.

The Unpacking Discussion Group organizers (Brittany, Caitlin, and Taylor)
are still learning our role in the Oregon library world. Being a newly
formed group and not exactly formally organized, we admittedly had not
considered the impact our silence or absence would have. We do now.  This
is a reminder that silence is complicity.

How the OLA EDIA Meaningful Support for BIPOC Library Workers is directly
related to the Unpacking Discussion Group:

   -

   Unpacking <https://unpackingdiscussion.weebly.com/>is a discussion-based
   forum created to provide a space in which white and white-identifying
   individuals can examine the realities of their white privilege.
   -

      The OLA EDIA Meaningful Support for BIPOC Library Workers statement
      calls out the white privilege in library work. The statement
provides ways
      in which we can begin to identify that privilege.
      -

      Excerpts from OLA EDIA Meaningful Support for BIPOC Library Workers
      statement:
      -

         “... BIPOC often experience trauma in majority White spaces,
         mental and physical health disparities, disparities in access
to quality
         care, and pressure to prioritize excellence at work over
their well-being.”
         -

         “Who are the people you are prioritizing when it comes to support
         and resources following traumatic events?”
         -

   Through conversation, we explore how to actively dismantle systems which
   oppress Black, Indigenous, and People of Color and from which all white and
   white-identifying individuals benefit.
   -

      The OLA EDIA Meaningful Support for BIPOC Library Workers statement
      furthers the conversation by putting words to not only dismantle the
      systems of oppression but also to support our BIPOC colleagues
and patrons
      that face oppression and the effects of oppression every day.
      -

      Excerpts from OLA EDIA Meaningful Support for BIPOC Library Workers
      statement:
      -

         “The movement to ban books that discuss race or racism, and erase
         the reality of the BIPOC experience further stresses and demoralizes
         library workers. This trauma can be mitigated through impactful racial
         equity and antiracism efforts.”
         -

         “Are you offering accessible support opportunities for your staff
         and community members who are experiencing fear, anger or
confusion around
         identity-centered acts of hate?”

We repeat, our voices joining and uplifting the EDIA Committee, BIPOC
library workers and patrons are not okay.

Please read the full statement here
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jhza4KoIxM-Epf6M5zsmqVpeKJNwN1jE1pFYpKBUTgI/edit>.
Share it. Do better.

Thank you,

*The Unpacking Team*
unpackingdiscussion.weebly.com
unpackingdiscussion at gmail.com
Caitlin McMahan (she/her) Eugene Public Library
Taylor Worley (she/her) Springfield Public Library
Brittany Young (she/her) Lane County Law Library

*Unpacking  <https://unpackingdiscussion.weebly.com/>*is a discussion-based
forum created to provide a space in which white and white-identifying
individuals can examine the realities of their white privilege. Through
conversation, we explore how to actively dismantle systems which oppress
Black, Indigenous, and People of Color and from which all white and
white-identifying individuals benefit. *Unpacking* is designed for the
communal education of white and white-identifying individuals, but welcomes
all people who would like to contribute to or engage in this work.
Additionally, though *Unpacking *is rooted in conversations about race, we
welcome a broad range of topics which can help libraries and museums to
become more diverse, equitable, inclusive, and accessible.