[OYAN] OYAN's Oregon Mock Printz - the first invitation!

Sonja Somerville SSomerville at cityofsalem.net
Mon Oct 3 15:56:49 PDT 2022

2023 Oregon Mock Printz - The First Invitation

Book nerd fun alert! The Oregon Young Adult Network is inviting teen readers and adults who work with teens in libraries to share a very marvelous experience!

It is called the 2023 Oregon Mock Printz. What do we do? We find and read 8 outstanding books from 2022 and then spend an afternoon in an intensive discussion of those books. Then we vote which is most likely to be a contender for the 2023 Michael L. Printz Award for Excellence in Young Adult Literature.

Is free and open any teen or adult who works with teens and it is SO MUCH FUN.

12-4:30 p.m. Saturday, January 21

THIS IS A HYBRID EVENT

In person: Salem Public Library, 585 Liberty St. SE

Virtual: On Zoom

Here is how:

1)      Sign up using our Mock Printz 2023 Registration Form<http://ola.memberclicks.net/message2/link/c3fae30b-a4ef-4028-b944-7e33bd2fe2e5/1> (each teen and adult should sign up individually)

2)      Find and read the the Oregon Mock Printz books:

  *   Ain't Burned All the Bright by Jason Reynolds and Jason Griffin
  *   I Must Betray You by Ruta Sepetys
  *   Queer Ducks (and Other Animals): The Natural World of Animal Sexuality by Eliot Schrefer
  *   Squire by Sara Alfageeh and Nadia Shammas
  *   All My Rage by Sabaa Tahir
  *   + three additional books that will be announced in mid-October!

3)      Join us from 1-5 p.m. Saturday, January 22 in Salem or on Zoom. Information will be emailed to all registered participants as The Big Day approaches.

Questions? Ask Mock Printz coordinator Sonja Somerville – ssomerville at cityofsalem.net <http://ola.memberclicks.net/message2/link/c3fae30b-a4ef-4028-b944-7e33bd2fe2e5/2>

A little note about the Teen Readers - I encourage you to ask around! For the right teens, I can tell you from experience that this event is MAGICAL. It takes preparation because of the pre-reading, yet introduces readers to some excellent books and offers them a chance to meet and talk with other extreme book nerds. It is SOOO worth the time and effort to those readers.

Transportation can be a challenge. I will share two thoughts - first, although I'm not allowed to drive teens, Salem has had a parent who was willing to drive and wait for the kids year after year (clearly, he also had fun); second, there is a virtual option and teens can join solo from their homes or as a group from your library if you're willing to arrange.

If you need help brainstorming solutions, reach out. Teen readers enrich the Mock Printz greatly and they are enriched by it as well!

I have created a couple of images that might help you promote this with your teen readers!

  *   Link to: png<https://www.olaweb.org/assets/OYAN/OYAN_MockPrintz_graphic_2023_partial.png>
  *   Link to: pdf<https://www.olaweb.org/assets/OYAN/OYAN_MockPrintz_graphic_2023_partial.pdf>

Best,

Sonja Somerville, MLIS

Teen Services Senior Librarian

Pronouns: she/her/hers

City of Salem | Salem Public Library

585 Liberty St. SE, Salem, OR 97301

ssomerville at cityofsalem.net<mailto:ssomerville at cityofsalem.net> | 503-588-6083

Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/spl.oregon> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/spl.oregon/> | YouTube<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuw7eUMqW0fgwHhj8h1EClQ> | Pinterest<https://www.pinterest.com/sploregon/pins/> | CityofSalem.net<https://www.cityofsalem.net/Pages/library.aspx>