[OYAN] Do you have a shared art space?

Lisa Elliott lisae at tigard-or.gov
Tue Dec 5 14:13:14 PST 2023

Hey, do you have a public whiteboard, chalk, etc. in your teen or youth space? We have a big ol’ whiteboard in the teen space at Tigard, and it is constantly in use. The attached picture depicts some of the current contributions. In case you can’t see it, it is a drawing if the Mexican flag, but just the stripes, with the caption “Mexico is the best ❤!” Someone has helpfully responded “If you don’t put the Eagle on the cactus then it’s the Indian flag, Bodoque.” These are the kind of asynchronous interactions that make my little librarian heart sing.

Here’s an incomplete list of things that have been shared on the whiteboard:

  *   Drawings of genitals, but not as many as you’d think
  *   Our own analog version of Wordle (I call it Chordle)
  *   Magnetic poetry for days
  *   Coming out statements
  *   Supportive remarks on coming out statements
  *   Messages from friends to friends
  *   Messages from strangers to strangers bonding over interests shared on the board
  *   Lists of favorite books
  *   Lists of favorite songs
  *   Fanart
  *   Personal email addresses, phone numbers, and social media handles (I erase those)
  *   Birthdays added to the monthly event calendar
  *   Very advanced mathematics
  *   Organic chemistry
  *   Personal CashApps and Venmos (I erase those too)
  *   Incredible drawings
  *   Not-so incredible drawings
  *   Very occasional mean graffiti (erase)
  *   Unwelcoming Jesus-y stuff (erase)
  *   “Free Palestine!”
  *   “Black Lives Matter!”
  *   “Happy Pride!”
  *   “I ❤ the library!” (aww)

What have you seen on your shared art spaces? Do you have a policy of what you erase and what you leave up? Is it a formal policy or a wisdom-of-experience policy?

Bestest,
Lisa

Lisa N Elliott
Young Adult Librarian
Tigard Public Library
(503) 718-2654
lisae at tigard-or.gov<mailto:lisae at tigard-or.gov>
she|her|hers

Work Schedule
Tuesdays-Saturdays

[cid:image001.png at 01DA2780.EB8A0880]

DISCLAIMER: E-mails sent or received by City of Tigard employees are subject to public record laws. If requested, e-mail may be disclosed to another party unless exempt from disclosure under Oregon Public Records Law. E-mails are retained by the City of Tigard in compliance with the Oregon Administrative Rules “City General Records Retention Schedule.”