[OYAN] The Right to Read: Free Online Screening on 6/19 & Science of Reading Podcast

MAURER Jennifer L * SLO Jennifer.MAURER at slo.oregon.gov
Mon Jun 5 16:30:26 PDT 2023

Please pardon the cross-posting.

Hi Folks,

Nationally<https://www.pbs.org/newshour/education/why-more-u-s-schools-are-embracing-a-new-science-of-reading> and in Oregon<https://www.oregonlive.com/education/2023/03/kotek-we-are-going-to-make-sure-that-the-science-of-reading-guides-what-districts-do.html>, the science of reading is getting a lot of attention. In a simplistic nutshell, the science of reading is an approach to teaching reading that incorporates brain research and includes phonics instruction. Those who are curious about the topic may be interested in two resources I learned about recently.

Sold a Story: How Teaching Kids to Read Went So Wrong<https://features.apmreports.org/sold-a-story/> is a podcast mini-series produced by American Public Media and billed as an "independent investigative journalism project."

There is also a documentary, The Right to Read<https://www.therighttoreadfilm.org/>, that was produced by LeVar Burton. Right now the only way to see the film is if there is a screening in your area. (Or, you can request a screening for your area.) However, in celebration of Juneteenth, there will be a free online viewing on June 19th. "The Right to Read will be available to watch online from 12:00AM ET to 11:59PM PT to anyone who registers<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfJ3Xqv2nB9t_NmIQLzBekCo3Lmbo7p5AdZFTLSYjLRAVeLVQ/viewform>. Viewers can also access the film on the day by visiting www.therighttoreadfilm.org<http://www.therighttoreadfilm.org/>."

FYI,
Jen
Jen Maurer, MLS (she/her)
School Library Consultant, State Library of Oregon
jennifer.maurer at slo.oregon.gov<mailto:jennifer.maurer at slo.oregon.gov> | 971-375-3540 | https://www.oregon.gov/library/libraries
Follow us: Facebook<https://fb.me/StateLibraryOR> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/StateLibraryOR> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/statelibraryor/> | Pinterest<https://pinterest.com/statelibraryor/> | YouTube<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-kU8Gu0jS_YcnXg-b_TRA/featured>

[cid:image003.png at 01D997C5.DBD82F70]