[OYAN] Unpacking Discussion Issues a Challenge!

Unpacking Discussion Group unpackingdiscussion at gmail.com
Wed Mar 1 13:30:03 PST 2023

Hi All,

Last month in Unpacking, we started working our way through the White
Supremacy Culture article by Tema Okun. We talked a lot about perfectionism
and a fear of failure. The vast majority of us (white folks) are scared to
venture into difficult discussions, especially about EDI, because we're
afraid of "messing up." *We challenge you to overcome that fear and join us
tomorrow. *We don't bite. In fact, we all leave feeling more supported,
informed, and reflective than when we came into the (virtual) room.
Realizing you've misstepped doesn't mean you are a bad person; it means you
are willing to push yourself and learn. That's a great thing!

If you have any questions, please just let us know. You can sign up for
tomorrow's discussion and future updates on our website
<https://unpackingdiscussion.weebly.com/about--contact.html>.

Best,

*The Unpacking Team*
unpackingdiscussion.weebly.com
unpackingdiscussion at gmail.com
Caitlin McMahan (she/her) Eugene Public Library
Taylor Worley (she/her) Eugene Public Library
Brittany Young (she/her) Lane County Law Library

*Unpacking  <https://unpackingdiscussion.weebly.com/>*is a discussion-based
forum created to provide a space in which white and white-identifying
individuals can examine the realities of their white privilege. Through
conversation, we explore how to actively dismantle systems which oppress
Black, Indigenous, and People of Color and from which all white and
white-identifying individuals benefit. *Unpacking* is designed for the
communal education of white and white-identifying individuals, but welcomes
all people who would like to contribute to or engage in this work.
Additionally, though *Unpacking *is rooted in conversations about race, we
welcome a broad range of topics which can help libraries and museums to
become more diverse, equitable, inclusive, and accessible.

*Spring Season:*
Tema Okun's White Supremacy Culture article.
<https://www.whitesupremacyculture.info/uploads/4/3/5/7/43579015/okun_-_white_sup_culture_2020.pdf>
 *We're going to work through this together in real time, so there is no
expectation that you will have already read the article.* That being said,
if you would like to build yourself a more robust foundation, we highly
recommend reading the original article, exploring Okun's website
<https://www.whitesupremacyculture.info/>, and checking out their recent
update, "White Supremacy Culture: Still Here
<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XR_7M_9qa64zZ00_JyFVTAjmjVU-uSz8/view>"
from May 2021.