[OYAN] Great School Library collaboration

Mark Richardson MarkR at wccls.org
Fri Nov 17 14:32:05 PST 2023

Hello everyone,

Last week on November 9th, Portland artist Cat Farris came to the Arts and Communications Magnet Academy school within the Beaverton School District to talk to the students about drawing comics for a living.  She gave us some background about how she got started in comics after going to art school and thinking she was going to pursue animation.  She then showed everyone how her comic, The Ghoul Next Door,  went from a script written by Cullen Bunn to a thumbnail to a fully painted page with watercolors.  She even drew a picture of one of the characters, Lavinia, while she was answering questions.  It was a great event.

It was also great for the library in that we were able to host the author at a local arts school, where many more students were likely to see her.  We had 53 in attendance and another 11 watching online through zoom. It is unlikely we would have had the same turnout if we had held the event in the library.  We are pleased that we were able to partner with this school and bring this presentation to kids in our community. It was all part of a Washington County Community Coalition Grant we received to promote a graphic novel book club.

The video will be posted on our YouTube channel next week at this link if you want to go back and watch. https://youtu.be/NLVF4AY7Ms0

Please reach out if you have any questions.

Take care,
Mark

Mark Richardson
Teen Services Manager
Pronouns: He/Him/His
[cid:2c91717a-13bd-47cb-9601-fe88dcc75b76]
Cedar Mill Library
1080 NW Saltzman Road

Portland, OR 97229

(503) 644-0043 x 124

Library.CedarMill.org<https://library.cedarmill.org/>

Follow me in the library catalog! CedarMill_MarkR<https://wccls.bibliocommons.com/user_profile/1251989147>

Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/CedarMillLibraries/> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/cedarmilllibrary/> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/cedarmilllib/> | Youtube<https://www.youtube.com/user/CedarMillLibrary/> | Podcasts<http://cmclibrary.libsyn.com/>