[OYAN] OYAN Mock Printz News

Sonja Somerville SSomerville at cityofsalem.net
Tue Oct 24 09:03:35 PDT 2023

Hello people of OYAN and our friends and allies!

We have a bit of sad news for you today. Unfortunately, due to scheduling conflicts and planning capacity, we have decided not to hold a Mock Printz workshop this coming January. If you haven't yet had the pleasure, the Mock Printz is a delightful afternoon of shared strong feelings, passionate defenses, and cheerful arguing among book-loving teens and library staff. We had a notable triumph this year when All My Rage<http://ola.memberclicks.net/message2/link/54b2345c-05de-49ce-ad08-fba6381cfc55/1>, the book we agreed was the best of the year, won the actual Printz Award! This workshop is just the best, and we will definitely be doing it again, probably every other year. So, please mark your calendars for January 2025. In the meantime, we've compiled a list of Printz contenders for your reading (and, in some cases, weeping) pleasure! These 10 YA books would have most likely made our Mock Printz list, plus a couple of bonus books.*:

  *   Accountable<http://ola.memberclicks.net/message2/link/54b2345c-05de-49ce-ad08-fba6381cfc55/2> by Dashka Slater
  *   The Blood Years<http://ola.memberclicks.net/message2/link/54b2345c-05de-49ce-ad08-fba6381cfc55/3> by Elana K. Arnold
  *   Different For Boys<http://ola.memberclicks.net/message2/link/54b2345c-05de-49ce-ad08-fba6381cfc55/4> by Patrick Ness
  *   Enter the Body<http://ola.memberclicks.net/message2/link/54b2345c-05de-49ce-ad08-fba6381cfc55/5> by Joy McCullough
  *   Into the Light<http://ola.memberclicks.net/message2/link/54b2345c-05de-49ce-ad08-fba6381cfc55/6> by Mark Oshiro
  *   Monstrous: A Transracial Adoption Story<http://ola.memberclicks.net/message2/link/54b2345c-05de-49ce-ad08-fba6381cfc55/7> by Sarah Myer
  *   Only This Beautiful Moment<http://ola.memberclicks.net/message2/link/54b2345c-05de-49ce-ad08-fba6381cfc55/8> by Abdi Nazemian
  *   A Study in Drowning<http://ola.memberclicks.net/message2/link/54b2345c-05de-49ce-ad08-fba6381cfc55/9> by Ava Reid
  *   Warrior Girl Unearthed<http://ola.memberclicks.net/message2/link/54b2345c-05de-49ce-ad08-fba6381cfc55/10> by Angeline Boulley
  *   We Are All So Good At Smiling<http://ola.memberclicks.net/message2/link/54b2345c-05de-49ce-ad08-fba6381cfc55/11> by Amber McBride

If you would like to plan your own Mock Printz locally, we have resources to share with you! Please reach out to Sonja (ssomerville at cityofsalem.net<http://ola.memberclicks.net/message2/link/54b2345c-05de-49ce-ad08-fba6381cfc55/12>) for tips and tricks on how to run a Mock that will be fun and fruitful for all!

We have a luxurious amount of time to prepare for the OYAN's next Mock Printz in January 2025. Would you like to join our team? We've got this down to a science, but we need collaborators to help select books, host the workshop, manage registration, and coordinate on the day of the event. It's fun, not too time-consuming, and infinitely rewarding. If you're interested, please get in touch with Sonja.

That is all! Be well. Read books!

>From - The  Oregon Young Adult Network (OYAN) team

*Our panel of wise and intrepid book-judgers this year included Sonja Somerville, Lisa Elliott, Lorene Forman, Lily Hawley, and Star Todd!

Best,
Sonja Somerville, MLIS
Programming & Outreach Supervisor
Pronouns: she/her/hers
City of Salem | Salem Public Library
585 Liberty St. SE, Salem, OR 97301
ssomerville at cityofsalem.net<mailto:ssomerville at cityofsalem.net> | 503-588-6083
Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/spl.oregon> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/spl.oregon/> | YouTube<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuw7eUMqW0fgwHhj8h1EClQ> | Pinterest<https://www.pinterest.com/sploregon/pins/> | CityofSalem.net<https://www.cityofsalem.net/Pages/library.aspx>