[OYAN] Summer Reading & OYAN listserve schedule

Brianna Sowinski briannas at wccls.org
Fri Feb 2 18:54:08 PST 2024

Hello!
It was so great to talk to so many of you today at the OYAN meeting and hearing what you're working on at your libraries and reading! Here is the link for signing up for a listserve emails  :https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wnQXOr0NRiPsAd-IU8-QKKcIT3lVG9ba6INBLVaMwpg/edit?usp=sharing  You can always ask questions or bring up topics on the listserve at anytime without signing up ☺️ but I know we're all sometimes too busy to reach out to each other.

I know we discussed SRP in the meeting, but I already had this drafted 😄 and maybe it will be useful to folks. I'll share what we have going on at North Plains Public Library and some questions I have and would love for folks to join the conversation so we can all benefit from hearing about what you're working on and what other questions might be out there!

I'm in the middle of planning. Last year I had low attendance for my summer Teen Council meetings, so this year we're taking off June and July and having Teen SRP programs instead. In August we'll volunteer to help at our Friends of the Library Booksale. Last year each teen who helped was able to pick out a free book from the Friends sale and I had record-breaking attendance!

I'm hoping to have a felting workshop with LeBrie Riche<https://www.penfelt.com/> and a tie-dye program.  The all-ages events with teen appeal will be with Japanese drummers, Takohachi<https://www.takohachi.org/>, and we're excited to have Scrap PDX<https://portland.scrapcreativereuse.org/> host a creative reuse art program. We're also planning a bee-keeping class or maybe a mason bee house workshop.

Questions!

  1.
Have you had teens read for a cause in the past?  What did that look like at your library?
  2.
Do you give teens sign-up or finish incentives besides books? To go with the theme, I've been thinking about seed paper or seed balls<https://www.amazon.com/Native-Wildflower-Makes-pollinators-Western/dp/B07GDSVN9B/ref=sr_1_7?crid=2VYXJV9J99Q6A&keywords=seed+bombs&qid=1706839652&sprefix=seed+bombs%2Caps%2C207&sr=8-7>, or solar printing paper but would love to hear other ideas!
  3.   What passive activities are you planning for teens this summer?

Brianna Sowinski (she/her/they)

Librarian

North Plains Public Library

City of North Plains

503-647-5051

https://www.northplains.org/library

A proud member library of Washington County Cooperative Library Services<https://www.wccls.org/>

Follow me in the library catalog: NorthPlains_BriannaS<https://wccls.bibliocommons.com/user_profile/me>

My work week is Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, & Friday

[https://attachments.office.net/owa/briannas%40wccls.org/service.svc/s/GetAttachmentThumbnail?id=AAMkADY3YzhhMGEwLWZiNzMtNDJiMS1hOTRlLWI4NTQ4OWNhZTY1MwBGAAAAAABJOUjomGJlSoKnHNwRWezTBwCFKHUYPS83TI6nUGwT%2FWo7AAAACUjmAADuCehBsTI%2FQbXu01%2BXlnVwAAKPMbdYAAABEgAQAKMM1l3rtKhFqc8ENt9QmFM%3D&thumbnailType=2&token=eyJhbGciOiJSUzI1NiIsImtpZCI6IkU1RDJGMEY4REE5M0I2NzA5QzQzQTlFOEE2MTQzQzAzRDYyRjlBODAiLCJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJ4NXQiOiI1ZEx3LU5xVHRuQ2NRNm5vcGhROEE5WXZtb0EifQ.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.nAowJLyRZuqr378iuYuOKN0ak2JA2QHhFxzZwhxfWXP2-Pfx9hE4-ReHVbOPtge1V03MfCqcScKpq6tDdoSAelawBjam4kVHlKzkmpxrDcfwMgUhELSDMS6NBHrDmkOPa-Fhd-yB3RS24pYqB-_cDWaOxzmU0XkEzVG_9ulAxiMtrqyPAA6cr93p4_iNuSe2h-0du6YD6pQw4Dg_IGpM29V37aMrBSOu3k5TaWwIa0x5b3g5jXs9I2fXf_5Ihu7uvFZi-VeJnQAAmRdfsDqhY9GjOGs_KkChX307ufuCm2Ua1ijc2FBxEk0eSMbMcLiUGKohJOSu8DkjahL-3kwDgg&X-OWA-CANARY=54tX2VFFNEmDjzd9e1-LerA5Ls5iJNwY95u1n4oba5_fsBq_VAX82alOro4_aTruRpn591hlI2s.&owa=outlook.office.com&scriptVer=20240126002.06&clientId=D562B205BF2447D4894986980C8F7563&animation=true]