[OYAN] Friday, Feb 16th Shoutout

BERGQUIST Greta E * SLO Greta.BERGQUIST at slo.oregon.gov
Fri Feb 16 17:07:01 PST 2024

Hi everyone,

It's been a full week over here and I'm sure where you are too. I imagine plenty of you are ready for a break. Last night one of our local papers held a community conversation on rising gun violence in Salem. The proposed solutions reminded me of Eric Klinenberg's book, Palaces for the People. It's about libraries but it's really about third spaces, the places we can go to hang out with people who aren't in our families. These spaces - libraries being one of them - are critical for healthy, vibrant communities with less violence.

It can be hard to see in the day to day how the work you are doing really makes a difference, but I want to encourage you that it really does. All the little things add up, and they're important.  We can't solve everything alone, but we can work together for the communities we want to see. You all are people I'm happy to be working with. I hope you have time this weekend to talk to your neighbors, eat some good food with good people, and do what you can to feel refreshed and energized.  Thanks for showing up this week!

Best,
Greta

Greta Bergquist, MLIS, MAT (she/her/hers)
Youth Services Consultant
State Library of Oregon
greta.bergquist at slo.oregon.gov<mailto:greta.bergquist at slo.oregon.gov>  | 971-375-3549
www.oregon.gov/library<http://www.oregon.gov/library>
Follow us: Facebook<http://fb.me/StateLibraryOR> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/StateLibraryOR> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/statelibraryor/> | Pinterest<https://pinterest.com/statelibraryor/> | YouTube<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-kU8Gu0jS_YcnXg-b_TRA/featured>

[Title: State Library of Oregon]