[PL-Directors] Lead in Books Update

Jim Scheppke jim.b.scheppke at state.or.us
Wed Aug 26 13:11:33 PDT 2009

Dear Directors: This appeared today on libs-or so forgive me if you already
got it. It is important that all public library directors have this
information from the ALA Washington Office. --> Jim

Jim Scheppke, State Librarian
Oregon State Library
250 Winter St. NE
Salem, OR 97301
503-378-4367
(fax) 503-585-8059
jim.b.scheppke at state.or.us

*********

CPSC Issues Rule Regarding Lead Standards; More Guidance To Come for
Libraries

As the American Library Association (ALA) has emphasized since first
enactment of the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA), concern
for children¹s safety is our first priority in providing materials to young
patrons.  On August 26, 2009, the CPSC¹s final rule on children¹s products
containing lead was released.  In the rule, CPSC confirmed that libraries
have no independent obligation to test library books for lead under the law.
CPSC also announced its intention to release a Statement of Policy
specifically providing guidance for libraries with regard to the treatment
of older children¹s books that could potentially contain lead.  According to
our conversations with CPSC officials, that Statement of Policy should be
released within the next several weeks.

While we await the Statement of Policy, ALA recommends that libraries take
the following actions.  If a library is aware that any children¹s book does
indeed contain lead above the legal limits or otherwise presents a danger to
children, it should remove it from public access, for instance by moving it
to the non-circulating collection.  We would also ask that if libraries do
learn of any books containing lead to please let the ALA ­ Washington Office
know so that we might  share that information with other libraries.  When
the Statement of Policy is released, we will promptly notify our members.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Jessica McGilvray,
Assistant Director of the ALA Office of Government Relations at
jmcgilvray at alwash.org <mailto:jmcgilvray at alwash.org> or 1-800-941-8478.

Jessica McGilvray
Assistant Director
American Library Association
Washington Office - Office of Government Relations
1615 New Hampshire Ave., N.W., 1st Floor
Washington, D.C. 20009-2520

phone: 202-628-8410
fax: 202-628-8419