[PL-Directors] ALA Library Legislative Day, May 11-12

Jim Scheppke jim.b.scheppke at state.or.us
Tue Jan 6 15:54:31 PST 2009

Dear Directors:
Every year the State Library coordinates a delegation of Oregon librarians
to participate in the American Library Association's National Library
Legislative Day. The dates this year are May 11-12 in Washington, D.C. The
first day is a briefing day, where ALA Washington Office staff provide
extensive briefings on the top library issues at the Federal level.  On the
second day we visit the offices of all seven of Oregon's members of Congress
and advocate for our issues. We go in teams (3-4 to a team) so no one has to
carry all of the load in talking to our Congressional staff and
(occasionally) our members of Congress.

Normally we have 7-8 librarians and library supporters (e.g., trustees,
Friends) attend from Oregon.  This year we could use one more public
librarian, trustee or Friend in our delegation. Sara Charlton is going, but
all the others in our group are from academic or school libraries, or the
State Library.

The State Library pays the registration fee for attendees and makes all the
arrangements, but participants have to cover their own travel expenses.

Since we could use another public library representative this year, I
thought I would put this message out on your list to see if any of you might
have a interest in going.  I think attendees in the past have always found
it to be a very educational and rewarding experience.

Please let me know if you are interested, or if a trustee or Friend from
your library might be interested in joining our group this year.

Thanks! --> Jim

Jim Scheppke, State Librarian
Oregon State Library
250 Winter St. NE