[PL-Directors] FW: Op-Ed to Send

Jim Scheppke jim.b.scheppke at state.or.us
Thu Oct 22 16:59:28 PDT 2009

Directors: I am forwarding this at the request of Mary Ginnane, Immediate
Past-President of OLA. --> Jim

Dear Public Library Director,
The Oregon Sesquicentennial has closed its office, and the final OLA Oregon
Reads events are taking place this fall. The Oregon Library Association has
a plan to draw attention to the Oregon Reads statewide reading project in
its final days. The attached Op-Ed was written by George Bell, OLA Honorary
Life Member and excellent journalist.

It is George's recommendation that the most effective delivery of op-ed
pieces is in person to your local newspaper's editor. If you are able to
hand-deliver the attached op-ed by end-of-day October 30th please reply to
me at this e-mail address:
mjginnane at comcast.net<mailto:mjginnane at comcast.net>.

Those newspapers that won't be receiving a hand-delivered op-ed will receive
it by e-mail or post office mail.

This plan will help guarantee statewide distribution of the op-ed at
approximately the same time-another recommendation for effective statewide
coverage by George.

If you have any questions about the op-ed or the facts about Oregon Reads
that we feature please feel free to ask me, or Leah Griffith (Newberg PL),
June Knudson (Hood River County L), or Sara Charlton (Tillamook Cty L).
Leah, June, and Sara were our Oregon Reads Committee chairs over the course
of the project and OLA stands in appreciation of their work on this
successful project. Thanks to all participating libraries for your level of
participation in Oregon Reads whether loaning books, conducting programs, or
sponsoring complete community-wide reading programs. Finally, thank-you for
your cooperation with this final promotion.

Bat 6 Apples to Oregon over these Stubborn Twigs! It's been a great year!

Best wishes,
Mary Ginnane
Past-president, OLA

------ End of Forwarded Message