[PL-Directors] Announcing New Partnership with Energy Trust of Oregon

Jim Scheppke jim.b.scheppke at state.or.us
Tue Apr 20 11:53:01 PDT 2010

Dear Directors:

In a number of states, and in a few libraries in Oregon, public libraries
are circulating energy monitoring tools called Kill A Watts with
considerable success. Patrons connect a Kill A Watt to a household appliance
allowing them to see exactly how much energy each appliance uses, thus
enabling them to make more informed decisions on energy use in their homes.
Libraries that have made these devices available to patrons report high
customer satisfaction and high usage.

I have been working with Energy Trust of Oregon to increase the number of
Oregon public libraries offering these devices. In the next week, libraries
in Energy Trust¹s electric service territory, those served by Portland
General Electric and Pacific Power, will receive an application from Energy
Trust announcing the Check Out Energy Savings program. You will be asked to
complete a short application expressing your interest in making Kill A Watt
meters available in your library. Based on demand and available resources,
Energy Trust will select an initial number of libraries for this pilot.
Those libraries will receive Kill A Watt meters proportional to patrons
served, as well as materials describing how to use the meters, materials
with energy savings tips and support for making your patrons aware of this
new resource.

Unfortunately, not all Oregon public libraries are in Energy Trust¹s
electric service territory, but the majority of libraries are. Attached is a
list of the libraries that are in Energy Trust¹s electric service territory,
and thereby qualify for the Check Out Energy Savings Program.

I encourage all of you who are eligible to apply to be part of the program.
If there is more demand than resources set aside for the program, Energy
Trust will expand the program after successful implementation of the pilot.
By agreeing to circulate the Kill A Watts, your patrons will have access to
a great energy saving tool at no cost to the library, and we will be
developing an ongoing relationship with Energy Trust.

I believe that libraries can be a great resource for Energy Trust, helping
connect library users with available programs and services that save energy
and tap renewable resources.

If you have any questions about this opportunity let me know.

Jim Scheppke, State Librarian
Oregon State Library
250 Winter St. NE
Salem, OR 97301
503-378-4367
(fax) 503-585-8059
jim.b.scheppke at state.or.us

Go Green, Keep it on screen - think before you print.