[PL-Directors] Report on 6/11 OSL Board Meeting

Jim Scheppke jim.b.scheppke at state.or.us
Wed Jun 16 09:25:31 PDT 2010

Dear Directors:
At their meeting on June 11th, the State Library Board adopted the General Fund reduction plan for the Library as proposed by staff. I sent you a message about the plan on June 3rd. The plan that the Board approved was slightly different from the plan I notified you about on June 3rd. We were able to identify an additional $2,854 in savings from our operating budget, bringing down the total reduction proposed for the Ready to Read Grant program to $115,987. The proposed reductions to our operating budget total $40,793.

Attached is a new version of the spreadsheet I sent to you on June 3rd reflecting the slightly smaller overall reduction. We also fixed a problem in the prior spreadsheet that affected the libraries in Clackamas County. The grants total $611,352 which is equivalent to 79 cents per child per year. Grants last year were at 94 cents per child per year.

It would be prudent for you to plan for grants in December in the same amount as in the spreadsheet. We may not know for weeks or months what the final reductions will be. The Governor, along with most other governors, is urging the Congress to provide additional funds to the states to help us through this fiscal crisis. President Obama is urging Congress to do the same. If we get more Federal funds later this year there is a chance that reductions to our budget might be less, though we probably should not count on it.

Please let me know if you have any questions about this. I appreciate your support and cooperation as we deal with these difficult circumstances for state government.

Jim Scheppke, State Librarian
Oregon State Library
250 Winter St. NE
Salem, OR 97301
503-378-4367
(fax) 503-585-8059
jim.b.scheppke at state.or.us

[cid:3359525133_225184]Go Green, Keep it on screen - think before you print.