[PL-Directors] Public Libraries and the Workforce

Arlene Weible arlene.weible at state.or.us
Tue Jul 14 13:56:31 PDT 2020

Greetings Public Library Directors!

I wanted to share this recently published article from the Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta's Center for Workforce and Economic Opportunity. I thought it could be a useful resource when talking to public officials and library board members about the role of the library in economic recovery efforts.

Public Libraries and the Workforce
Stephanie Holcomb
July 8, 2020
2020-07
https://doi.org/10.29338/wc2020-07
Quote:

"It is likely we will enter a period of high demand for workforce services following the public health and economic crisis we are experiencing. If that is the case, the current place-based public workforce system will be overwhelmed with a huge demand for services across the country. Through established partnerships and existing knowledge and resources, libraries will continue to be an important actor and partner as the country assesses and begins to address the damage COVID-19 has caused the labor market. The extent of their impact will depend on policymakers and program leaders finding ways to integrate the library system as an important delivery and service institution for job seekers and learners in an increasingly changing workforce development environment."

If you have suggestions or ideas about how the State Library can support libraries as they meet the increased demand for these services, please feel free to share them with me.

--Arlene

Arlene Weible, MLS
Electronic Services Consultant
Oregon Federal Regional Depository Coordinator
arlene.weible at state.or.us<mailto:arlene.weible at state.or.us> | 503-378-5020 | http://www.oregon.gov/library/libraries
Follow us: Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/StateLibraryOR/> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/statelibraryor> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/statelibraryor/> | Pinterest<https://pinterest.com/statelibraryor/>
Everyone counts - take the Census today at my2020census.gov<https://my2020census.gov>
COVID-19 info: https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/coronavirus

[cid:image003.png at 01D2BCD4.A65A4C70]