[PL-Directors] Attend a free Infopeople course: Career and workforce services in libraries

WEIBLE Arlene * SLO Arlene.WEIBLE at slo.oregon.gov
Thu Jun 10 13:48:47 PDT 2021

As we navigate the upcoming months of economic recovery after the pandemic, Oregon libraries will be determining how to best support their communities' needs for career exploration, job searching and workforce skills development. The State Library has a strategic initiative to assist libraries as they enhance and grow services to meet these needs.

As part of this initiative, we are pleased to announce funding for up to 10 Oregon library staff to attend the following online course offered by Infopeople:

Career Services for Community Minded Libraries<https://infopeople.org/civicrm/event/info?id=989&reset=1>, July 20-August 16, 2021

Details

  *   This offer is open to all Oregon library staff. Preference will be given to:
     *   Staff from libraries that will use the course to plan a local library project or support a local community initiative
     *   Staff from libraries serving communities of 25,000 or less
  *   In order to gain the most impact from learning events prepaid by the State Library we ask that all participants engage fully (attend, participate, discuss and share). If you are unable or not willing to agree to this, please be kind and leave a seat or place for someone else.
  *   Participants are required to complete coursework and submit the Certificate of Completion to the State Library. Failure to do so without notifying the State Library before the end of the course may impact participants eligibility in future State Library sponsored CE events.

How to Apply

  *   Submit this online application<https://www.cognitoforms.com/StateLibraryOfOregon/ApplyToAttendAnInfopeopleOnlineLearningCourseJulyAug2021>.
  *   The deadline to complete the application is July 7, 2021.

Description of Course
With COVID-19, many economic opportunity issues were laid bare in 2020. Foremost amongst them was the need for more support for our unemployed and underemployed community members. The data coming from Brookings and other trusted sources indicate the wealth gap is widening and vulnerable populations are reporting a lack of skills and concern for future employment. The days of Wi-Fi access and resume help are not making the impact they did five years ago. Libraries across North America have heard the call for career services and workforce development action but where do we start? What is our responsibility to the resource partners already working on these issues? How do we expand rather than duplicate services without taking staff time from other priorities?

These questions and more will be explored as a group through leveraging helpful tools like concept canvases<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oxn7y5CM-ws> and ecosystem mapping<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uYdwgM1iRI>. Libraries are uniquely positioned to collaborate with traditional community resources for more impactful and scalable opportunities. This practical approach will lead to actionable steps and better outcomes for libraries' workforce development efforts.

During this course, we will explore the employment barriers our customers face and our local ecosystems already addressing these issues, and how to create collaborative learning opportunities and sustainable, impactful career services.
This four-week course will include two interactive online sessions:

  *   July 21, 2021 at 10:30 am-11:45 am PT
  *   August 4, 2021 at 10:30 am-11:45 am PT
Instructor: Morgan Perry<https://infopeople.org/people/morgan-perry>

Questions? Contact me!
--Arlene

Arlene Weible, MLS (she/her/hers)
Electronic Services Consultant
Oregon Federal Regional Depository Coordinator
State Library of Oregon
arlene.weible at slo.oregon.gov<mailto:arlene.weible at state.or.us> | 503-378-5020 | http://www.oregon.gov/library/libraries
Follow us: Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/StateLibraryOR/> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/statelibraryor> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/statelibraryor/> | Pinterest<https://pinterest.com/statelibraryor/> | YouTube<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-kU8Gu0jS_YcnXg-b_TRA/featured>
COVID-19 info: https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/coronavirus

[cid:image001.png at 01D75DE8.D7570840]