[R2R-OR] 2014-2015 ORCA titles announced: allowable cost for your summer reading R2R project
katie.anderson at state.or.us
Thu Apr 24 12:10:37 PDT 2014
The Oregon Readers Choice Award (ORCA) titles for the 2014-2015 school year have just been announced (see below). Usually several of these titles wind up on the Oregon Battle of the Books (OBOB) to encourage kids to participate in both programs. These are good titles to consider purchasing and promoting for your summer reading program to help kids get a head start in participating in these wonderful statewide literacy programs.
Allowable Ready to Read Grant summer reading collection development projects include purchasing:
* Books and audio books to help kids prepare for next year's...
o Beverly Cleary Children's Choice Award<http://ola.memberclicks.net/bccca-home> (to be announced)
o Oregon Readers Choice Award<http://www.olaweb.org/orca> (ORCA, the 2014-2015 list is below!)
o Oregon Battle of the Books<http://oboblsta.pbworks.com/w/page/5653620/FrontPage> (OBOB, to be announced)
o Patricia Gallagher Picture Book Award<http://oregonread.org/2012-2013-patricia-gallagher-nominees/> (to be announced)
* Books and audio books on teachers' summer reading lists at your local schools.
* Books and audio books on ALA's Association for Library Services to Children summer reading brochures: http://www.ala.org/alsc/compubs/booklists/summerreadinglist.
* Any type of library material for children birth to 14 years old related to this year's summer reading theme. The 2014 summer reading theme is 'science'. There are bibliographies (book lists) in your summer reading manuals, but you don't have to stick to them. You can ask your colleagues for ideas, check publisher's websites to see if they have created their own science themed book lists, and search the Internet. You might start with searching for "fizz boom read" on Pinterest<http://www.pinterest.com/search/boards/?q=fizz%20boom%20read>. You'll find mostly programming and craft ideas, but you'll also find book ideas!
Katie Anderson, Library Development Services
* Youth Services Consultant * Oregon Center for the Book Coordinator *
Oregon State Library, 250 Winter St. NE, Salem, OR 97301
katie.anderson at state.or.us<mailto:katie.anderson at state.or.us>, 503-378-2528
Help Celebrate School Library Month<http://www.ala.org/aasl/slm>!
From: Kids-lib [mailto:kids-lib-bounces at listsmart.osl.state.or.us] On Behalf Of Nina Kramer
Sent: Thursday, April 24, 2014 11:25 AM
To: kids-lib at listsmart.osl.state.or.us
Subject: [kids-lib] ORCA 2015 Titles
I am pleased to announce the titles<http://oregonreaderschoiceaward.wordpress.com/> chosen by this year's committee from the list of books nominated by students and teachers from around the state. The nominees for the 2015 ORCA Award are:
The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate
Chomp by Carl Hiaasen
Starry River of the Sky by Grace Lin
Summer of the Gypsy Moths by Sara Pennypacker
Splendors and Glooms by Laura Amy Schlitz
Who Could That Be at This Hour? by Lemony Snicket
Cardboard by Doug TenNapel
Three Times Lucky by Sheila Turnage
Storybound by Marissa Burt
Titanic : Voices from the Disaster by Deborah Hopkinson
Ungifted by Gordon Korman
The Lions of Little Rock by Kristin Levine
Keeper of the Lost Cities by Shannon Messenger
Colin Fischer by Ashley Edward Miller and Zack Stentz
The False Prince by Jennifer A. Nielsen
Beyond Courage by Doreen Rappaport
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
Seraphina by Rachel Hartman
Cinder by Marissa Meyer
Dodger by Terry Pratchett
Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Saenz
Endangered by Eliot Schrefer
Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan
Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein
I would like to thank the committee members for their hard work. They are Elizabeth LaShomb Christley, Lisa Elliott, and Teena Nelson from the Oregon Young Adult Network (OYAN), Beth LaForce, Marie LeJeune, Karren Timmermans from the Oregon Reading Association (ORA), Melanie Hetrick, Jessica Marie, Denise Willms from OLA's Childrens Services Division (CSD), Kathryn Harmon, Kiva Liljequist, Laurie Nordahl of the Oregon Association of School Librarians (OASL) and Kira Porton of the Pacific Northwest Booksellers Association (PNBA).
Nina Kramer, ORCA Chair 2014-2015
3605 NE 15th Avenue
Portland, OR 97212
Branch Phone: 503.988.5362
Desk Phone/Msg: 503.988.6054
ninak at multcolib.org<mailto:ninak at multcolib.org>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 15562 bytes
More information about the R2R-OR