[R2R-OR] SPR and early lit resources: Music & movement programs

Katie Anderson katie.anderson at state.or.us
Mon Jun 20 08:54:53 PDT 2016

The 2017 Ready to Read grant application materials will be available in July. Now is a good time to start thinking about the early literacy and/or summer reading project you want to fund with Ready to Read next year. If you’re considering a music and movement program, then below are some tips for music and movement programs from a recent blog post.

Here are a few more music and movement program planning resources:

·         ALA’s Association for Library Services to Children’s Music and Movement at the Library<http://www.alsc.ala.org/blog/2014/11/music-and-movement-at-the-library/>

·         Catch the Possibilities: Music and Movement –vs- Storytime<http://www.catchthepossibilities.com/2012/05/q-music-and-movement-vs-storytime.html>

·         Music and Movement—Bees, Elephants, and Bean Bags<http://stephaniereinhardt.com/2014/09/04/music-and-movement-bees-elephants-and-bean-bags/> (one Music and Movement program plan)

·         Library Programming: Dance and Play<https://www.pinterest.com/jennifer6867/library-programming-dance-and-play/> (activity ideas on pinterest)

________________________________

Tips for a Successful Music & Movement Program<http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/AlscBlog/~3/TWb5njW9qrk/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email>

2016 marks my third year of running the incredibly popular Music & Movement program “Shake, Shimmy, & Dance” during summer reading. This crowd-pleasing, high-energy program packs in 70-120 multi-generational participants each week. I’ve thought a lot this past week about what has made the program so successful and about some tips to pass on to other youth librarians looking to replicate this program.

Top Ten Tips for a Successful Music & Movement Program
1.       Know your music collection. If you’ve got a particular artist that your community knows and loves, pop them into your playlist. For my kiddos, it’s Jim Gill and Laurie Berkner. If they hear the beginning of The Goldfish Song anywhere, they squeal with joy.
2.       Empower your grown-ups to get involved. Don’t let them sit down on the sideline and help lead them by providing instructions or dance tips. I include a ton of dance tips on the back of my handouts (clap your hands, jump up and down, spin your child around, pretend to do an everyday activity like shopping). I also have a Powerpoint up with dance instructions or suggestions.
3.       Balance new with old. Try a few new songs mixed in with classics. I like to use Twist and Shout by Old Town School of Folk Music or the Fresh Beat Band to get a reaction from the grown-ups. Later this summer, I’m going to try to add Sweet Home Chicago by Laura Doherty in and see how that goes!
4.       Give the kids something to hold. Some Music and Movement programs have lots of props out for the children to choose from. I decided to focus on one kind of prop per program. I use shaker eggs, scarves, wrist ribbons, bells, and a giant parachute. I’m looking into getting a stretchy band soon!
5.       Get staff to buy-in. Since this is a large program, it’s important to have staff support. Everyone from Technical Services (who shares a wall with our large meeting room) to the Kids and Teens staff members know what days are Music & Movement days. My K&T staff members make sure I have off desk time to cool down afterwards and Circulation knows to expect a larger check-out rush after the program is over. Make it fun for them — I take music requests! Technical Services always asks for more Caspar Babypants Beatles covers.
6.       Hand out something tangible for grown-ups to take home with a playlist. Or post it online if you’re going green. This serves as word of mouth for the program and also promotes your library’s music collection.
7.       Market the program not only to grown-ups in youth services, but also to grandparents — this is a great program to spend time with the whole family.
8.      Task someone with getting pictures and video of the program. Another way to publicize the success of the event but also a good idea to use in board reports or to make your case on return of investment.
9.       Purchase a quality sound system. Make sure that you can hear the music and the presenter in all areas of the programming room.
10.   Have fun and don’t worry about looking silly while you dance. I’m a crazy spinning mess of a dancer who shakes and twirls and jumps and sweats a lot. And I don’t care because the kids are having the BEST TIME EVER.

If you need suggestions for recorded music and where to start picking artists, check out this ALSC post I wrote last year — Recorded Storytime Music: A Primer<http://www.alsc.ala.org/blog/2015/09/recorded-storytime-music-a-primer/>. And for examples of my playlists and write-ups, you can view all of those on my blog, Storytime Katie under the Shake, Shimmy, & Dance tag<https://storytimekatie.com/tag/shake-shimmy-dance/>.

– Katie Salo
Early Literacy Librarian
Indian Prairie Public Library
http://storytimekatie.com

The post Tips for a Successful Music & Movement Program<http://www.alsc.ala.org/blog/2016/06/tips-successful-music-movement-program/> appeared first on ALSC Blog<http://www.alsc.ala.org/blog>.

Katie Anderson, Youth Services Consultant
Library Support and Development Services<http://www.oregon.gov/osl/LD/pages/index.aspx>
[cid:image004.png at 01D0358C.4523C4D0]<https://www.facebook.com/ORLibSupport>  [http://www.thewwwblog.com/images/blogger-logo.jpg] <http://osl-lis.blogspot.com/>   [http://www.aethlonmedical.com/assets/001/5130.png] <https://twitter.com/orlibsupport>   [Picture] <http://www.oregon.gov/OSL/LD/Pages/index.aspx>