[R2R-OR] Learn about hands-on programming for your summer reading program

Katie Anderson katie.anderson at state.or.us
Wed Mar 2 09:07:47 PST 2016

While the following workshop isn't explicitly about summer reading, all of these hands-on programs could be part of your summer reading program for 0-14 year olds. It's a good opportunity to get ideas for trying new things next summer!-Katie
________________________________

There is still time to register for the OLA's Children's Services Division spring workshop! Follow this link <https://ola.memberclicks.net/index.php?option=com_mc&view=mc&mcid=form_214224> and save your seat today.

HANDS-ON PROGRAMS FOR SCHOOL-AGE KIDS

Bubble Making with Violeta Garza (Multnomah County Library): Test several recipes to see which one makes the best bubbles!

Calming Jars with Kathy Street (Oregon Trail Library District): These gorgeous jars of glitter are a great tool for starting conversations about feelings and helping kids manage their emotions.

Island Dreams with Mary Beth Hustoles & Jessica Marie (Salem Public Library): An island themed activity course (indoor or out); instructions, demonstration and supplies to make Geckos, lanterns, Octopus and Hula Dancer crafts... and a couple of surprises.

Marble Runs with Carson Mischel & Lizzy Lowery (Beaverton City Library): We will be bringing two large peg boards and a variety of tubes, pulleys, string and other whatnots. Participants can use the supplies provided and their imagination to create marble runs on the peg boards!

Sign Language Storytime with Dawn Prochovnic (SmallTalk Learning): Sign language is the ultimate hands-on learning activity. Visit this Demonstration Station to explore and engage in a variety of tried and true Sign Language Story Time practices and related extension activities. We'll play games, sing songs, move and groove, use some props, and see some examples of a craft or two!

Tinker Tech with Lucinda Gustavson (Springfield Public Library): Come play with us! We have Little Bits, Snap Circuits, Makey Makey boards, Dash & Dot Robots, Cubelets, 3D pens, Magna Tiles and more. This is your chance to try out all those fun tech toys you've heard about.

SILENT AUCTION
Our silent auction is back, bigger and better than ever before! We'll be auctioning off 3 fantastic baskets of goodies, plus giving 1 basket away as a door prize to a lucky winner. If you would like to bid on an auction item, please bring cash or your checkbook.

Katie Anderson, Youth Services Consultant
Library Support and Development Services<http://www.oregon.gov/osl/LD/pages/index.aspx>
[cid:image004.png at 01D0358C.4523C4D0]<https://www.facebook.com/ORLibSupport>  [http://www.thewwwblog.com/images/blogger-logo.jpg] <http://osl-lis.blogspot.com/>   [http://www.aethlonmedical.com/assets/001/5130.png] <https://twitter.com/orlibsupport>   [Picture] <http://www.oregon.gov/OSL/LD/Pages/index.aspx>

Reminder: Many small, rural libraries are not getting useful information about professional development opportunities and resources that is being shared on other listservs. Therefore I've decide to forward items that are relevant to improving early literacy for 0-6 year olds and summer reading for 0-14 year olds on the Ready to Read grant listserv. I will be very selective about what I share on this list to ensure they all relate to the purposes of the Ready to Read grant and so you aren't overwhelmed with too many emails.