[R2R-OR] Monday 4/27

Greta Bergquist greta.bergquist at state.or.us
Mon Apr 27 08:18:38 PDT 2020

Hello everyone,

I wanted to let you know that tomorrow I'll be hosting a Weekly Check-in in at 12 noon. Last week, Tamara Ottum hosted a Services for Spanish Speakers meetup that is recorded, and this week on Wednesday at noon, there is a conversation about reopening libraries hosted by Arlene Weible that will be recorded if you can't make it. Links to all these things are available here: https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/coronavirus/meetups

The National Summer Learning Association is hosting a Voices of Summer webinar<https://myemail.constantcontact.com/NSLA-2020-Spring-Webinar-Series---COVID-19-Emergency-Stimulus-Packages.html?soid=1101413108308&aid=7_vaw-TTbk8> this Wednesday. NSLA is a great professional resource and collaborates extensively with libraries - if you can't make the webinar, check out their website<https://www.summerlearning.org/> for resources.  In non-pandemic times, I would highly recommend their annual conference for summer reading professional development - they are excellent collaborators and have a lot to teach us about working with others in our community who also support kids and families.

Oregon's own Renee Watson wrote a short piece about her new book<https://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/childrens/childrens-authors/article/83113-holding-on-to-sunshine.html> and these times we are in and I've been thinking about it a lot since I read it. About her character Ryan, she says: "Still, she manages to make sunshine-to do something good for someone else, to infuse humor and laughter into a frustrating moment. This is not about her being in denial or about pushing down real feelings of stress and discontentment, but rather an acknowledgement that even with all the disappointment and sadness she's feeling, she can still express the deep love she has for her family, she can still play with her friends, and she can try again when she messes up. Ryan is learning that life has both good and not-so-good moments, often happening at the same time. She is building her capacity to hold both." I hope wherever you are today you are able to see the good along with the not-so-good.

Take care,

Greta

Greta Bergquist
Youth Services Consultant
503-378-2528 | www.oregon.gov/library<https://www.oregon.gov/library>
Follow us: Facebook<http://fb.me/StateLibraryOR> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/StateLibraryOR> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/statelibraryor/?hl=en> | Pinterest<https://pinterest.com/statelibraryor/>

Coronavirus Info: https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/coronavirus

[cid:image001.png at 01D61C6C.A6D59830]