[R2R-OR] Wednesday, December 9th Tuesday Office Hours Return in January

BERGQUIST Greta * SLO Greta.BERGQUIST at slo.oregon.gov
Wed Dec 9 11:03:24 PST 2020

Hello everyone,

I wanted to say thanks so much to all of you who have participated at some point in our Tuesday meetups<https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/coronavirus/youthsvcs> this year. I have so appreciated getting to listen and learn from everyone. In yesterday's session, folks shared about the work they are doing at their locations - it's a lot! I Many of you are continuing the services you've pivoted to as well. It made me think about when I was at my last library, how December was often a bit quieter - we did not hold programs and had a chance to catch up on weeding, long-term projects, etc. I wonder about how that might work this year?  I understand there is great community need for services in this challenging time, and many are feeling pressure to ramp things up. I also am thinking about the bare branches of the maple tree outside my door, whose leaves have fallen because they need to conserve some energy this winter season to get ready to bloom again for spring and summer. We aren't trees but we also benefit from conserving energy sometimes, and I hope you are able to take a step back this month and take a break or two.

In that spirit, I won't be hosting office hours for the rest of December. I'm available by phone or e-mail and am happy to touch base that way! For office hours, check back in Tuesday, January 5th!

Best,

Greta B

Greta Bergquist
Youth Services Consultant
971-375-3549 | www.oregon.gov/library<https://www.oregon.gov/library>
Follow us: Facebook<http://fb.me/StateLibraryOR> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/StateLibraryOR> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/statelibraryor/?hl=en> | Pinterest<https://pinterest.com/statelibraryor/>

Coronavirus Info: https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/coronavirus

[cid:image003.png at 01D6CE1A.E891D030]

>From ALSC Listserve: [alsc-l] Future of youth services librarianship survey invitation, Casey Rawson <crawson at email.unc.edu>

The nature of public library youth services work has shifted dramatically in recent years, and is likely to continue evolving in response to local and national demographic, economic, social, and political changes. Yet, LIS education on a national scale may not be keeping up with these changes, resulting in early career librarians who lack the skills, knowledge, and attitudes necessary to be immediately successful at the job. As part of an IMLS-funded project to facilitate a national conversation on the future of LIS youth services education, we are surveying public library staff, administrators and hiring personnel, and LIS faculty to ask for your thoughts on this issue.

If you are willing to share your thoughts with us, please use the anonymous survey link below. We anticipate that the survey should take approximately 15-

20 minutes to complete. If you have questions about the survey or this project, please contact the grant's Primary Investigator (Brian Sturm, sturm at ils.unc.edu<mailto:sturm at ils.unc.edu>). This project has been reviewed by the UNC Chapel Hill IRB (919-966-3113, irb_subjects at unc.edu<mailto:irb_subjects at unc.edu>), project #20-2843.

Survey Link for youth services library staff:

https://unc.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_ey9NH7ysTWCwTC5

Survey Link for administrators and hiring personnel:

https://unc.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_5goQVFq9I4ppBLT

Survey Link for LIS faculty:

https://unc.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_eEzZUCtmU4QGEAJ