[R2R-OR] Friday, August 16th Shoutout for Teen Services

BERGQUIST Greta * SLO Greta.BERGQUIST at slo.oregon.gov
Fri Aug 16 15:42:35 PDT 2024

Hello folks,

Happy Friday! We're midway through August, can you believe it? Today I want to highlight a few awesome teen-related library things:

Teen Interns around the state have been doing so much awesome work this summer. Sweet Home's intern, Rhiannon, spent a lot of time supporting summer programs this year culminating in an awesome fossil dig<https://www.sweethomenews.com/library-intern-finalizes-project/>. Harney County's intern, Kennedy (who is a high school sophomore!) presents to the Harney County court commissioners<https://youtu.be/NIzLScTon2o?feature=shared> the video she made about Harney Summer Reading - She starts her presentation about 29 minutes into the meeting.

Also, the State Library is not the only entity that funds teen internships - I was lucky enough to recently meet two teen interns funded through Clatsop Works<https://clatsopworks.com/> at both Astoria and Seaside libraries, they are awesome! Willamina had a grant from us this year and the school district kicked in funding to add three additional interns to their ranks! (Talk to library director Sarah Frost (FrostS at ci.willamina.or.us<mailto:FrostS at ci.willamina.or.us>) if you want to know more about that partnership!) And last thing about interns this week, Salem's teen interns shared their experiences with the Library Advisory Board<https://www.youtube.com/live/1k_xbtfNUko?feature=shared> here, at about 6:41 into the video.

Whew! That's a lot of work! But also, you are all providing great programs for teens who aren't interns. Hillsboro's Teen Theater troupe is performing an original play tomorrow<https://www.facebook.com/HillsboroPublicLibrary/posts/pfbid0wdGUqUdByWEAtBPfFy8czS2ATd1jCJn9zc517etq1UYEBhy3bxYSaWbjtg2TVMHhl> - What a great opportunity to create something with friends, get to know library staff and community better, and have fun - all important components of summer reading.

Thanks for all the work you all are still doing, we appreciate it over here. Have a great weekend!

Best, Greta
Greta Bergquist, MLIS, MAT (she/her/hers)
Youth Services Consultant
State Library of Oregon
greta.bergquist at slo.oregon.gov<mailto:greta.bergquist at slo.oregon.gov>  | 971-375-3549
www.oregon.gov/library<http://www.oregon.gov/library>