[Reading-For-Healthy-Families] Nutrition, marketing, and children

Katie Anderson anderson_katie at oslmac.osl.state.or.us
Tue Feb 9 10:22:07 PST 2010

The Nutrition Council of Oregon has launched a campaign to make parents aware that their children are being marketed to heavily.  The campaign is an obesity prevention project and was launched back in October '09 throughout Oregon.

Posters in English and Spanish were distributed to WIC and Head Start programs, pediatric medical and dental providers, preschools and child care providers.  The current phase of the campaign is to encourage libraries to display the posters, bookmarks and possibly library materials (books, CD's, etc.) that encourage healthy eating for children, media literacy, or information about marketing to kids.

I have attached a letter with a bit more information, an English version of the poster and bookmark.  I have also attached the October press release and
and a more recent article can be found at http://www.thelundreport.org/resource/oregon_nutrition_council_helps_keep_kids_healthy

Please let me know if you would like me to send posters and/or bookmarks (please specify the number you would like English, Spanish or both, and for posters, the size).  The posters are available in 8x11, 17x22 and 22x34.
email: jennifer.l.young at state.or.us  phone: (971) 673-0245.

The Multnomah County Libraries have already received posters and information, but please contact me if you would like additional materials.

Thank you for being part of this state-wide effort.
Jennifer Young

Jennifer Young, MPH, RD
Nutrition and Physical Activity Coordinator
Office of Family Health
Public Health Division, DHS
800 NE Oregon St., Ste. 805
Portland, OR 97232