[Reading-For-Healthy-Families] early literacy program marketing

Katie Anderson anderson_katie at oslmac.osl.state.or.us
Wed Mar 17 09:07:46 PDT 2010

Hello!  I just read the following blog post on marketing, and attached the sample marketing plan from the blog post so it's right at your finger tips.  This is a great template, and one of the examples is a ready to read early literacy program which provides an excellent example of how you can use this planning tool to market your RFHF early literacy session and other early literacy activities you are working on.

You can read this online at: http://www.libraryjournal.com/blog/820000682/post/1130052513.html
The Bubble Room is a blog specifically about marketing and libraries.

               katie.anderson at state.or.us, 503-378-2528

   Alison Circle

Marketing Plan Templates
February   8, 2010      Many people have asked me for copies of my marketing   plan, which I'm happy to share. But I always have to add   this caution: the plan is dated. I recently came across a great resource that I think   you'll love and that is much more up-to-date.

  Linda Hazzan is director   of marketing and communications for Toronto   Public Library. She has developed an   easy-to-use marketing plan template and is happy to offer it up for you   to use. If you scratch your head and don't know where to begin when it   comes to marketing, this could be your knight in shining armor! It   covers:

  Goals & Objectives
  Program Positioning
  Target Audience
  Marketing Mix
  Milestones

  Be advised:

  1. The template offers a roadmap, but you'll see that it requires   careful thinking and planning. It forces you to answer my favorite   question: "In order to what?"

  2. As Linda is quick to point out, the advent of social media means they   are evolving this template to adapt to emerging trends.

  As she shared with me:

"The template is part   of a larger process we've implemented around the   marketing planning, design and production process. I'd   be happy to speak with libraries about the process we   use and how this document works within that process. I'm not sure how   library-specific this is, though. I too come from a corporate background   and so I've adapted marketing and product management approaches I've   taken in the past to fit the library 'business' model."

  Download her template and my (dated) marketing plan here.
  Contact Linda directly at: lhazzan at torontopubliclibrary.ca