[RFHF] example of how the new and old ECRR kits are being used together

Katie Anderson katie.anderson at state.or.us
Tue Aug 30 09:29:24 PDT 2011

Hi!  As you know, the early literacy curriculum used in RFHF was updated earlier this year.  The underlying information is the same, but the Every Child Ready to Read 2nd Edition early literacy curriculum provides new and different ways for you to present the information to parents and providers.  Now that some of you have both editions in hand you are probably starting to think about what to do with them.  Here is what Nathan Jones is doing in St. Helens:

The [Every Child Ready to Read 2nd Edition] kit is here, the poster is up, the brochures and bookmarks are already in the hands of parents. It is a very nice curriculum, I find it very useful to have both editions though. It allows me to pick and choose which one is most appropriate for different parents. Some parents, who have a lot of knowledge about reading already, seem to take better to the original version -  while the majority of parents, who feel totally lost, seem to appreciate the simplicity of the 2nd edition. I’ll probably purchase some additional brochures to share with our local Head Start and add the curriculum to our professional collection so that Head Start teachers can borrow it from us informally.

Nathan Jones
Youth Librarian
St. Helens Public Library
375 South 18th Street
St. Helens, OR 97051
(503) 397-4544 ext. 102
nathanj at ci.st-helens.or.us

I encourage you to share how you are using the Every Child Ready to Read 2nd Edition on this listserv and to ask question on this list to learn what your fellow RFHF participants are doing with the new and old versions to get ideas that might work for you and the families or providers your serve.  To send an email out to all RFHF participants use this email address:  reading-for-healthy-families at listsmart.osl.state.or.us

Thank you,
Katie