[RFHF] Print Awareness and the iPad

Katie Anderson katie.anderson at state.or.us
Thu Dec 1 11:33:39 PST 2011

Hi!  In a side conversation about this, Nathan Jones from St. Helens summed it up very well:

“Content and how devices are used with children are far more important factors than the print vs. electronic debate.” No matter what new device or format is introduced, it’s always going to come down to the fact that children are social learners and the relationships that develop during this process are key.  I think Heather’s story is testament to this!
A television was brought into a village that had never before seen one.  For a week everyone was mesmerized, watching whatever was on, laughing at new images, listening to whatever was said.  The second week the people would occasionally glance at the TV, watch for a bit, then wander away to listen to a story from their storyteller.  By the third week the television interested only a few, and by the end of the month it sat, unnoticed, collecting dust.  However, the storyteller had a crowd, and everyone was singing, laughing, participating, with the story being told.  The one who had introduced the television asked a person in the village, “Why aren’t you watching the television anymore?  It knows many more stories than your storyteller will ever know.”  “Yes,” agreed the person, “but the television does not know me.”