[RFHF] Print Awareness and the iPad

Korie Jones Buerkle korie.buerkle at newbergoregon.gov
Thu Nov 17 12:23:04 PST 2011

How about this article from School Library Journal: eReader Users Likely to Read More, Buy More Books
http://www.schoollibraryjournal.com/slj/home/886902-312/ereader_users_likely_to_read.html.csp
And another on iPads/Kindles in school libraries:http://www.libraryjournal.com/slj/home/889110-312/the_kindles__are_coming.html.csp

I think this is an awesome change, because no matter how or on what kids are reading, I have great hopes that this is just another way kids will be exposed to reading, which is good news for print awareness.

I have a three year old who touches the computer screen because he sees his dad use his iPhone. My son's expectations about how he can find stories and information and what he can do with it will be different than mine. So what can we do to meet those needs?

 *
I hope that in the next few years we will have iPads for kids to check-out for in-library use (and then we can use space once reserved for computer stations for seating that is in inviting, or more bookshelves!).
 *
I'm working on list of apps that encourage early literacy skills and reading skills for parents.
 *
Hmm... Not sure what else yet, but I'm on the look-out, what are your ideas?

Thanks,

Korie Jones Buerkle
Children's Librarian/Circulation Supervisor
Newberg Public Library
503 554 7734
www.newberglibrary.org<http://www.newberglibrary.org/>