[RFHF] Children's books with fun vocabulary words

Katie Anderson katie.anderson at state.or.us
Tue Sep 13 09:19:47 PDT 2011

Hi!  There is a discussion about children's books with fun/rare vocabulary words on the one of the national email discussion lists for children's librarians.  I thought all of you would like to the following great list of books when working on vocabulary development during home visits or storytime.  This list was created by and shared with permission from Heather McNeil, RFHF trainer and participant, and children's librarian at Deschutes Public Library.

Books with unusual words are my favorites at storytime.  Here are some I've enjoyed:

1.       Doyle, Malachy.  Horse.

2.       Elffers, Joost and Curious Pictures. Do You Love Me?

3.       Jenkins, Steve & Robin Page.  What Do You Do With a Tail Like This?

4.       Mora, Pat.  Delicious Hullabaloo/Pachanga deliciosa.

5.       Scanlon, Liz Garton.  All the World.

6.       Slater, Dashka.  Baby Shoes.

7.       Stutson, Caroline.  Cat's Night Out.

8.       Williams, Karen Lynn.  A Beach Tail.

9.       Cabrera, Jane. Kitty's Cuddles.

10.   Crebbin, June. Cows In the Kitchen.

11.   Doyle, Malachy. Sleepy Pendoodle.

12.   Gordon, Gaelyn. Duckat .

13.   Hubbard, Patricia. My Crayons Talk.

14.   Jenkins, Steve and Robin Page. Move!

15.   Lester, Julius. Sam and the Tigers.

16.   MacDonald, Alan. Snarlyhissopus .

17.   MacDonald, Margaret Read. Teeny Weeny Bop.

18.   Montgomery, Tamara and Jodi Parry Belknap. When the Cassowary Pooped: A Tale of New Guinea. A

19.   Newbery, Linda. Posy.

20.   Pomerantz, Charlotte. The Piggy In the Puddle.

21.   Root, Phyllis. The Rattletrap Car.

22.   Ruddell, Deborah. Who Said Coo!

23.   Schaefer, Carole Lee. Dragon Dancing.

24.   Wheeler, Lisa. Bubble Gum Bubble Gum.

25.   Yolen, Jane. Off We Go!

26.   Becker, Bonny.  A Visitor for Bear.

27.   Blackaby, Susan.  Brownie Groundhog and the February Fox.

28.   Browne, Anthony.  Little Beauty.

29.   Cumberbatch, Judy.  Can You Hear the Sea?

30.   De Regniers, Beatrice Schenck.  What Did You Put In Your Pocket?

31.   Fox, Mem.  Hello, Baby!

32.   Hillenbrand, Will.  Fiddle-I-Fee.

33.   Johnston, Tony.  The Iguana Brothers.

34.   Johnston, Tony.  Cat, What Is That?

35.   Johnston, Tony.  My Abuelita

36.   Ketteman, Helen.  Armadilly Chili.

37.   Mwenye Hadithi.  Crafty Chameleon.

38.   Newbery, Linda.  Posy.

39.   Rayner, Catherine.  Ernest, The Moose Who Doesn't Fit.

40.   Ryan, Pam Munoz.  Tony Baloney

41.   Serfozo, Mary.  Plumply Dumply Pumpkin

42.   Steinberg, Laya.  Thesaurus Rex

43.   Stutson, Caroline.  By the Light of the Halloween Moon.

Heather McNeil
Youth Services Manager
Deschutes Public Library
507 NW Wall St.