[RFHF] Ready 2 Learn November Newsletter

Katie Anderson katie.anderson at state.or.us
Tue Nov 26 12:25:43 PST 2013

Attached is the November Ready 2 Learn newsletter with great information about developing narrative skills for babies, toddlers, and preschoolers (in English and Spanish). As Megan Brandsma mentions in her article on toddlers, telling children stories is a great way to develop narrative skills. The holiday season is a great time to remind families about this because they all have stories to tell about past Thanksgivings and other family holiday traditions.

For example, as long as I can remember one of my Christmas Eve dinner jobs has been to prepare the lefsa. The last few years I've had a couple of 3-5 year olds "help" me while I tell them stories about past Christmases in our family. It takes me longer and is a lot messier, but, in addition to developing narrative skills, it keeps the kids well behaved and out of the way of the other adults doing the serious cooking.

Enjoy,
Katie