[techtalk] Tech-Talk: WEB TOOL – Print Website Pages Without All the Junk

Darci Hanning darci.hanning at state.or.us
Fri Sep 28 13:52:09 PDT 2018

Greetings and welcome to this week’s edition of Tech-Talk!

[http://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/34916cb2-412f-43fa-8294-1f7ecb0e9a3d.png]

 Want to share Tech-Talk? Ask first. Contact info at Tech-Talk.com<mailto:info at tech-talk.com> © 2018 Shared Results International

 This Week's Topic: WEB TOOL

1. VIDEO ... Print Website Pages Without All the Junk
2. ARTICLE ... Print Website Pages Without All the Junk
3. COMMUNICATING ... Making a handshake more effective

[http://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/45e82754-023e-483f-8fa3-67d3f7503e8a.png]<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001p1pq624uo-RYrfc0tS7oGgRavrZh78QxEkdHOJGxyNkRLLtDxQYiIf2UNpwfelTlGFAE3E4kmSG-hl_lCdbwA3nGnGRZ1q-XGA3pfBTgMU3OJcgwlo_BJiucvodePMTmZwiiojXB-iirhF14YY6wfQFHi89XdF-3bajf1XrAvXcBpOcp9jcfD13IESCheW6RjmbeFHbA8RF8bbcyeuawPA==&c=7sk9iaUd6FEFGnU5TQFAIvc_8gqbf6u1TSpqytqURAojAo0aBtxdDQ==&ch=4Qc1tR2sSbgQfdG3SgKzUKGmbv0Nxtz6Gp0ub7Z5ohD4_3E7bCgnlg==>

Photo by Chris Barbalis<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001p1pq624uo-RYrfc0tS7oGgRavrZh78QxEkdHOJGxyNkRLLtDxQYiIf2UNpwfelTlqjY_DlqYayknCMGqCJ_FlsGCLWUvfEBSsHNoN7vu8I6mNOhZwg71zj8twQXm9S6ePx6SxD11clZEO79i1hV568CmwuvpS12-kcULdJm2sHSyOA0dgs31AdDSB3qHH0Q5kCI614NsGQ3R79LCdClJJXj2DdG4WV5YRhcqEpk4nlvX3zK1DF8FuLfm73N19la9bfl4x09HtCRD_WVauIGbdg==&c=7sk9iaUd6FEFGnU5TQFAIvc_8gqbf6u1TSpqytqURAojAo0aBtxdDQ==&ch=4Qc1tR2sSbgQfdG3SgKzUKGmbv0Nxtz6Gp0ub7Z5ohD4_3E7bCgnlg==> on Unsplash<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001p1pq624uo-RYrfc0tS7oGgRavrZh78QxEkdHOJGxyNkRLLtDxQYiIf2UNpwfelTlP584NB9wsQk7WbCe4rMNkKhs6FKlvHbXgZvtqOc4v7F-s87TeYCnRge9Vy5ECcO4jFE43qGeY29MpuZghzPENSlx-LtBTTjfUwG3Vr8VCy5ZkrXcuaCMJVv0YdncE9yQSrV2Upa9AQYGuWpq0n72sQvTy21SYPfg62wX5ZPvSU-Ox-jNuT66rOq614HCsUL0VHNu58YsnYdGlyyjYCj3wCsVD5tGFLQNjrjb7ykbNW8=&c=7sk9iaUd6FEFGnU5TQFAIvc_8gqbf6u1TSpqytqURAojAo0aBtxdDQ==&ch=4Qc1tR2sSbgQfdG3SgKzUKGmbv0Nxtz6Gp0ub7Z5ohD4_3E7bCgnlg==>

Brought To You By State Library of Oregon

[State of Oregon]

Visit Tech-Talk.com Archives<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001p1pq624uo-RYrfc0tS7oGgRavrZh78QxEkdHOJGxyNkRLLtDxQYiIXIs_-mMTu-rpjBbvAtclrrh5LwoAwU38NBufC-LdtZjSw7xR97Euk62VxAycjv053P3hcrPQVNoInRZEHW6JMnz8AeXSKZBH4qaXWAUfdj2&c=7sk9iaUd6FEFGnU5TQFAIvc_8gqbf6u1TSpqytqURAojAo0aBtxdDQ==&ch=4Qc1tR2sSbgQfdG3SgKzUKGmbv0Nxtz6Gp0ub7Z5ohD4_3E7bCgnlg==>

Username: ORLIBTECH
Password: ORLIBTECH

Questions about Tech-Talk?
darci.hanning at state.or.us<mailto:darci.hanning at state.or.us>

WEB TOOL – Print Website Pages Without All the Junk
Novice

[print]

The other day I found a cute craft project I wanted to make with my granddaughter from Pinterest and went to print it out.

When I viewed the website page with the details in my print preview window, there were ads, pop-ups, and multiple images -- and a whole bunch of junk that I didn't want to print. Not only was it unneeded, but it would have wasted multiple sheets of paper and expensive printer ink.

I just wanted to print the picture and simple instructions!

I could have copied and pasted what I wanted from the web page into a document and then printed it, but why take the extra steps?

I figured there had to be a solution for this... as others must have the same issue. I did find several options out there, but one stood out above the others because it offers the option to let you pick what you want from the page – and delete the rest. Let's take a look.

Clean up Your Printing with PrintFriendly

The web tool, PrintFriendly.com, cleans and formats website pages so that you can print just the content that you choose. It magically removes ads and pop-ups -- and the best part is, it also gives you the ability to delete sections of the page that you don't want to print.

It's a free tool that you can use from any website browser whether you are at work or home, on a desktop, laptop, tablet or mobile device. And like so many tools out there, there will be some ads displayed ... but you don't have to print them.

TIP: Be sure to remember it's PRINTfriendly.com ... NOT PRINTERfriendly.com. It's easy to mix these up in your mind.

Print What You Want in Just a Few Clicks

·     Copy the URL of the page you want to print.

·     Go to the website https://www.printfriendly.com<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001p1pq624uo-RYrfc0tS7oGgRavrZh78QxEkdHOJGxyNkRLLtDxQYiIf2UNpwfelTlnHrEjYXXeM_65XQFjZiMNJkZMvieMVTtQweQRBVmqY79ffFwznrbbhT3e9ihCrfsVoJ_Gd59JNHtstOftFygmg==&c=7sk9iaUd6FEFGnU5TQFAIvc_8gqbf6u1TSpqytqURAojAo0aBtxdDQ==&ch=4Qc1tR2sSbgQfdG3SgKzUKGmbv0Nxtz6Gp0ub7Z5ohD4_3E7bCgnlg==>.

·     In the window at the top of the site, simply paste that link and click the Preview button.

[printfriendly]

·     A new page will be displayed with options to Print, Save as a PDF, or Email the selection.

[print options]

Before you print though (and here's the power of this tool), you can choose to delete unneeded text or images.

To Delete TEXT:
·     Mouse over a section of the Text in the Print Preview window.
·     That area will turn yellow and offer you a trash can icon. When you click the icon that section will disappear from the page you want to print.

For example, in this article, I didn't want to print the list of suggested articles, so I just deleted them!

[printfriendly]

To Delete IMAGES:
·     When mousing over images, you don't see the trash can icon.
·     With images, the picture turns gray, and when clicked, it is deleted.

If you accidentally delete something you want included, just click the "Undo" button at the top.

Once you have "cleaned" up your document, press the Print button in the upper left. Your print screen should give you a full preview of what will print before you click the final print button (this does vary by computer/printer).

Web Browser Add-ons

You can save the PrintFriendly website as a Bookmarked site or Favorite in your preferred browser.

However, if you use web browser add-ons, Printfriendly does offer downloadable extensions for Firefox, Chrome, Internet Explorer/Edge and Safari -- and for iPad/iPhone and Android as well.

You can install the one for your browser so the PrintFriendly icon will show in your toolbar.

[printfriendly browser add-on]

To get this extension, from the https://www.printfriendly.com/<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001p1pq624uo-RYrfc0tS7oGgRavrZh78QxEkdHOJGxyNkRLLtDxQYiIf2UNpwfelTlnHrEjYXXeM_65XQFjZiMNJkZMvieMVTtQweQRBVmqY79ffFwznrbbhT3e9ihCrfsVoJ_Gd59JNHtstOftFygmg==&c=7sk9iaUd6FEFGnU5TQFAIvc_8gqbf6u1TSpqytqURAojAo0aBtxdDQ==&ch=4Qc1tR2sSbgQfdG3SgKzUKGmbv0Nxtz6Gp0ub7Z5ohD4_3E7bCgnlg==> home page, scroll down and click the Install Browser Extension button.

This tool will detect what browser you are currently working in and display the install button. Add the add-on for as many browsers as you want.

Hey, Did You Notice ... the New Print Icon in Tech-Talk?

[http://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/b5da5566-d40c-4157-a835-6d388f452115.png]

We recently had a request from a subscriber to add a "Print" button to the article pages on Tech-Talk.

We try to make it easy for you to watch the videos and read the tips so that you can use them frequently. And now we have a handy way for you to print the articles when needed.

Of course you don't have to save articles, you can always go to the Tech-Talk.com database and search by keyword to find them. But sometimes printing can come in handy. So we've added a "Print" button on every article. It's at the top right so you can find it easily.

[printer button]

[http://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/f8f1ecc8-4884-4c21-8ed0-cf647e6db944.png]

Communication: Nonverbal
What does your handshake say?

Have you ever thought about why you shake someone's hand? It could be a number of reasons: To introduce yourself ... to congratulate someone ... to welcome a new person.

Here are a few situations where handshakes can be quite effective...

·     Job interview ... to greet each other and set the tone
·     Networking meeting, so you can get your name out there
·     Conference colleagues, to get to know each other
·     Customers, vendors, patrons ... to show people you're supporting them
·     Parent-Teacher meeting, seeing each other for the first time
·     Training course, introducing yourself to the instructor and classmates
·     Congratulate someone on an award or accomplishment

How often can you capitalize on this effective communication technique? Could you look for more incidents when you could use this handy technique?

Don't underestimate the power of a handshake. Be sure it's firm. Hold the other party's hand confidently and make eye contact at the same time.

When you reach out to shake someone's hand, what possible message could you communicate? If it's a good handshake, it might be...

·     I like you.
·     You're important to me.
·     Let's respect each other.
·     I want to be considered.
·     You are welcome here.

If it's a limp, fingers only or too short a handshake, what could the message be that you're communicating?

·     I'm unsure of myself.
·     I have no interest in you.
·     I'm in a hurry.
·     I don't like touching.

So, use this nonverbal communication technique to your best advantage!

[http://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/b13a7a6a-7445-4d8e-b741-4b475385ef5b.png]<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001p1pq624uo-RYrfc0tS7oGgRavrZh78QxEkdHOJGxyNkRLLtDxQYiIe09sw7msbR7riPot3eNauskc2U9zEgF4oJgKvVPVo-6ALId96wUsPGNPSHNENdiBSo90Xc7nE9Ak2NYUXL2lj0g1fkIlr3AFfliHJDW0BtO&c=7sk9iaUd6FEFGnU5TQFAIvc_8gqbf6u1TSpqytqURAojAo0aBtxdDQ==&ch=4Qc1tR2sSbgQfdG3SgKzUKGmbv0Nxtz6Gp0ub7Z5ohD4_3E7bCgnlg==>

[Ask a question]<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001p1pq624uo-RYrfc0tS7oGgRavrZh78QxEkdHOJGxyNkRLLtDxQYiIVySez9lcYH5xZ_LvqpTs9Dni607Q7CVuidp1L-mbIvwTG_0aYw4VDR__O_Rrs5pMGSMXdwkj_TrZtI7YbEods8UFmWr_gfY_6t5lHVfGltsb3h1GMmaCjg=&c=7sk9iaUd6FEFGnU5TQFAIvc_8gqbf6u1TSpqytqURAojAo0aBtxdDQ==&ch=4Qc1tR2sSbgQfdG3SgKzUKGmbv0Nxtz6Gp0ub7Z5ohD4_3E7bCgnlg==>

Copyright 1996-2018 Shared Results International. Published weekly. Do not forward this issue of Tech-Talk.com without prior permission from Shared Results International. Distribution is limited by contract. Forwarding it to unauthorized recipients constitutes copyright infringement.
For information on site licenses or how to include additional recipients, email darci.hanning at state.or.us<mailto:darci.hanning at state.or.us>

The Tech-Talk e-newsletter for Oregon library staff is distributed weekly via the Libs-OR and TechTalk mailing lists. Please do not forward. Know someone who might be interested in receiving a copy but they’re not on the Libs-OR or TechTalk mailing lists? Have them contact darci.hanning at state.or.us<mailto:darci.hanning at state.or.us> or visit http://listsmart.osl.state.or.us/mailman/listinfo/techtalk to receive the weekly Tech-Talk newsletter!

This paid subscription service is supported in whole by the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS) through the Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA), administered by the State Library of Oregon.

Cheers,
Darci Hanning, MLIS
Public Library Consultant / CE Coordinator
darci.hanning at state.or.us<mailto:darci.hanning at state.or.us> | 503-378-2527 | https://oregon.gov/library
Follow us: Facebook<http://fb.me/orlibsupport> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/ORLibSupport> | Tumblr<http://www.statelibraryor.tumblr.com/> | Pinterest<https://pinterest.com/statelibraryor/>
Ask me about the Edge Initiative<http://oregonedge.net/>!
[cid:image005.png at 01D31C27.4B9FEA30]