[techtalk] Tech-Talk: OFFICE - Hyperlinking Documents

Darci Hanning darci.hanning at state.or.us
Tue Dec 24 14:49:52 PST 2019

Greetings and welcome to this week’s issue of Tech-Talk!

Add a link from one document to another for easy access
[http://r20.rs6.net/on.jsp?ca=6adf1a70-d276-4628-a136-386bb4071984&a=1100778316270&c=980e0ed0-0713-11e6-a7b7-d4ae528ed502&ch=981cb4d0-0713-11e6-a7b7-d4ae528ed502]

[http://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/34916cb2-412f-43fa-8294-1f7ecb0e9a3d.png]

 Want to share Tech-Talk? Ask first. Contact info at Tech-Talk.com<mailto:info at tech-talk.com> © 2019 Shared Results International

 This Week's Topic: OFFICE
1. VIDEO ... Hyperlinking Documents
2. ARTICLE ... Hyperlinking Documents
3. COMMUNICATING ... When told "no," explore it.

Did you know...?
Yes, now you can read
Tech-Talk articles in 100+ different languages!

Go to www.tech-talk.com<http://www.tech-talk.com>
Look in the upper right corner, above the Member Login. Use the drop down to instantly translate every page within the Tech-Talk Database.

[https://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/f8b01671-198d-43a5-8fbb-29ad5784328e.png]

[video link]<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001g2VZKZssjxgdVFxuHNUmDhtszvq5UWdAzWLLt2vhUJqbrUMjYZiC8Mj1xdV46s7Hln5PrzGbJw8VLp_xWCSFE9OTf44i_M9BprS0UAaga4LjCjeVcXmEJ5A5ubjEWg8bZYG6RtQOytu7cuhXqNpf3hf5hk1VV5my6kduBAn0bIsFPA0_nlB6mz6N7LxJ6r8E&c=wz08N8T-rd2zGJVB_-nI4v7urJYtPVgxR85zCNAZWSWgMYc2YSh0kg==&ch=fm7Y5b31rEAc74BkUhAviZqnCIiUYVl_Sth4we2csVK5tbDdH24urw==>

Photo by Ray Hennessy<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001g2VZKZssjxgdVFxuHNUmDhtszvq5UWdAzWLLt2vhUJqbrUMjYZiC8Mj1xdV46s7HYFmtKF8PwSOdcROiW05RP1_M2G8-YA8CN9rrpQUUvtyoyKsjk8z8-zbe4bsxAqddDwUBPjXIEcs-izdw-a5Cw4zVQTZWtRijx1EtuuUnukFeSsAFN4cfv9NlCWdeeuIaCok4u-y3XnVygyW5tE3o90yoiDBuSiAS5qR6SrFMXFMQD2n1AUCs4_3TfYFCziX0qtLywnE63Vs=&c=wz08N8T-rd2zGJVB_-nI4v7urJYtPVgxR85zCNAZWSWgMYc2YSh0kg==&ch=fm7Y5b31rEAc74BkUhAviZqnCIiUYVl_Sth4we2csVK5tbDdH24urw==> on Unsplash<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001g2VZKZssjxgdVFxuHNUmDhtszvq5UWdAzWLLt2vhUJqbrUMjYZiC8Mj1xdV46s7HMlsIP0URpQESubwHLwWHGK9vffpt_xuLiLJ7xb4bKv1t9o9Y_kpQog7c5_qnyVruPubevdpB3tLNHc0dUST_tWAKygXmNoM-v_xPJD8o-4qs7ZE4k2rbHh-7PWA950tYLqBw5UiSB0t8KUSr8dn_Q6pTyLW6KSDHXV4F4NdimPcTl5JGSvl7QfPTt2UQwARzhnxP5BHgq8U=&c=wz08N8T-rd2zGJVB_-nI4v7urJYtPVgxR85zCNAZWSWgMYc2YSh0kg==&ch=fm7Y5b31rEAc74BkUhAviZqnCIiUYVl_Sth4we2csVK5tbDdH24urw==>

Brought To You By State Library of Oregon

[State of Oregon]

Visit Tech-Talk.com Database<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001g2VZKZssjxgdVFxuHNUmDhtszvq5UWdAzWLLt2vhUJqbrUMjYZiC8LUy6c87o7W4xZh8T5gXE2zEY8gPC-_SVbuEr2QxsmPC97gDAJ2Rf6dGvu9kV6N58YBnA6lNsbRJ_UX_FKSDc0xurlr0QQBK0kJGrtA0nrTp&c=wz08N8T-rd2zGJVB_-nI4v7urJYtPVgxR85zCNAZWSWgMYc2YSh0kg==&ch=fm7Y5b31rEAc74BkUhAviZqnCIiUYVl_Sth4we2csVK5tbDdH24urw==>

Username: ORLIBTECH
Password: ORLIBTECH

Questions about Tech-Talk?
darci.hanning at state.or.us<mailto:darci.hanning at state.or.us>

OFFICE - Hyperlinking Documents
Intermediate

We had a request from a reader recently for how to add a hyperlink inside a document, which when clicked ... opened another file.

For example, you may be writing a report or putting together a program that references other documents -- maybe a Word file, Excel or even a PDF. If so, you might like the reader to be able to click a link to access these resources easily.

[giving presentation]

Or perhaps you're using a PowerPoint in a presentation and you don't want to awkwardly switch between a slide to find a supporting file. Because when you're finished with the document you would need to go back to the presentation, put the PowerPoint into Show View again and proceed.

There is a much easier, more professional way to accomplish what you want – a seamless reference to another document without interrupting your presentation.

Just hyperlink it!

[link to other files]

Yes, links can be done between documents. Typically, we think of this feature as a quick path to some location on the Internet. Actually, it's a direct connection to any other file or digital address. You can link to:

·     A file on your computer
·     A document in your network
·     Files you've saved to cloud storage like OneDrive or Dropbox

IMPORTANT: When you share a file that has hyperlinks in it with someone else ... they will not have access to the referenced documents unless you have all of them in one folder. Do this before you put in the links so the links remain stable.

EXAMPLE: A Presentation with Links to Documents

[https://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/3baf445a-e3c2-446d-9569-d4a76a4c672d.png]

Now the HANDOUT is linked within the presentation so that when clicked by the speaker, it will immediately appear. Then close seamlessly using the "x" in the corner.

It's Simple To Do

When you want to refer to another document, just type the text you want to display, highlight it and insert a hyperlink – only this time instead of putting in a URL, you browse to find the file you want. You can also hyperlink an image or shape ... connecting to another item. Just follow these steps:

1.  Highlight the words, image or shape that you want as the link.
2.  Click on Insert and choose Link, Insert Link. (Keyboard shortcut: Ctrl + K).
3.  Instead of the Address box, go to the Look In box.
4.  Browse to find the file you want -- and when you click, it will be linked.
5.  Just ignore what shows up in the Address box.
6.  Click OK.

[https://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/7192b31a-7d45-4367-ac33-08bc9cd40c78.png]

Now in your presentations (or other documents like Word or Excel), every time you click on a hyperlinked word (or image) your supporting document will appear!

What to Watch For...

·     When you're in the middle of a presentation: To get out of the document you clicked to and back to the presentation, click on the X in the upper right corner.

·     It's important to know that the files that you hyperlink to must be accessible from the same computer as your main document or presentation. For instance, there may be a time when you click on the link and it says, "cannot open the specified file" -- or something similar. This means the document has been disconnected. Just find it and re-insert it as a hyperlink. Or better yet, always keep your presentation AND the referenced files in the same folder. When you move one, move them all.

·     Give your presentation a run-through ahead of time. Each software application may respond differently, so be sure to test it first before giving the presentation to your final audience. That way any bugs will be worked out.

For Google Suite...

To add links to other Docs, Sheets or Slides, click on this link<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001g2VZKZssjxgdVFxuHNUmDhtszvq5UWdAzWLLt2vhUJqbrUMjYZiC8Mj1xdV46s7Hln5PrzGbJw8VLp_xWCSFE9OTf44i_M9BprS0UAaga4LjCjeVcXmEJ5A5ubjEWg8bZYG6RtQOytu7cuhXqNpf3hf5hk1VV5my6kduBAn0bIsFPA0_nlB6mz6N7LxJ6r8E&c=wz08N8T-rd2zGJVB_-nI4v7urJYtPVgxR85zCNAZWSWgMYc2YSh0kg==&ch=fm7Y5b31rEAc74BkUhAviZqnCIiUYVl_Sth4we2csVK5tbDdH24urw==> to the database article.

[http://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/f8f1ecc8-4884-4c21-8ed0-cf647e6db944.png]

Communications: Gaining Insight
When told "no," explore it.

No matter who you are, there are times when you've been told "no," right?

Let's just talk about the job environment. For instance, you may have a proposed idea. The answer comes back, "no" or "not this time."

It's best to accept the decision gracefully by acknowledging the response, and then asking for an explanation as to how the "no" was derived.

There's an effective way to do this. It's a two-step process.

First, tell them you "respect their decision ... and are not trying to change it." (That tells them you've accepted it and it keeps them from becoming defensive when you follow it up with the second item.)

Second, ask (in a casual, not challenging manner): "Can you tell me ... what's one thing that led you to that decision?"

You'll get invaluable insight!

This information may actually reopen consideration, give you a better chance next time or simply clarify the situation so that you feel better with the decision.

[http://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/b13a7a6a-7445-4d8e-b741-4b475385ef5b.png]<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001g2VZKZssjxgdVFxuHNUmDhtszvq5UWdAzWLLt2vhUJqbrUMjYZiC8KWG_rO1EzEJMHF4DWtx-Q-SDNs8BJ1CbTaTB3_B5hkf1i_T_P6_QCwoQTagm8YyerN-_565emL9-lEZZHgBRWtIGa_NVW84jFjARd2I5cm7&c=wz08N8T-rd2zGJVB_-nI4v7urJYtPVgxR85zCNAZWSWgMYc2YSh0kg==&ch=fm7Y5b31rEAc74BkUhAviZqnCIiUYVl_Sth4we2csVK5tbDdH24urw==>

[Ask a question]<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001g2VZKZssjxgdVFxuHNUmDhtszvq5UWdAzWLLt2vhUJqbrUMjYZiC8M0TuDw8LXFQpjnNzMt7XxuqYb-WLYD6Hk8HEHqkBLcvRBRlTFbU93MWjTHb6lBlpXimp2Accz_FzDEeJcRPJ9n9xsf1IOTfpZBp5nB4ZoQ_gPnN0GTg7Mw=&c=wz08N8T-rd2zGJVB_-nI4v7urJYtPVgxR85zCNAZWSWgMYc2YSh0kg==&ch=fm7Y5b31rEAc74BkUhAviZqnCIiUYVl_Sth4we2csVK5tbDdH24urw==>

Copyright 1996-2019 Shared Results International. Published weekly. Do not forward this issue of Tech-Talk.com without prior permission from Shared Results International. Distribution is limited by contract. Forwarding it to unauthorized recipients constitutes copyright infringement. For information on site licenses or how to include additional recipients, call 941-355-2092.

The Tech-Talk e-newsletter for Oregon library staff is distributed weekly via the Libs-OR and TechTalk mailing lists. Know someone who might be interested in receiving a copy but they’re not on TechTalk or Libs-OR mailing lists? Have them contact darci.hanning at state.or.us<mailto:darci.hanning at state.or.us> or visit http://listsmart.osl.state.or.us/mailman/listinfo/techtalk to subscribe to just the Tech-Talk newsletter!

Tech-Talk is a paid subscription service for staff of Oregon libraries and is supported in whole by the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS) through the Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA), administered by the State Library of Oregon.

Cheers,
Darci Hanning, MLIS
Public Library Consultant / CE Coordinator
darci.hanning at state.or.us<mailto:darci.hanning at state.or.us> | 503-378-2527| www.oregon.gov/library<https://www.oregon.gov/library>
Follow us: Facebook<http://fb.me/StateLibraryOR> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/StateLibraryOR> | Tumblr<http://www.statelibraryor.tumblr.com/> | Pinterest<https://pinterest.com/statelibraryor/>

[cid:image005.png at 01D31C27.4B9FEA30]