[techtalk] WINDOWS - Use Quick Assist to Help Someone Remotely

Darci Hanning darci.hanning at state.or.us
Tue Oct 6 17:02:30 PDT 2020

Greetings and welcome to this week’s issue of Tech-Talk!
Solve problems from afar

[http://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/34916cb2-412f-43fa-8294-1f7ecb0e9a3d.png]

[https://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/86015182-af5c-4298-aca0-59bef515cac0.png]

ANNOUNCEMENT: Tech-Talk Merchandise Design Contest

Thanks for the clever and creative submissions! We are now in the process of reviewing and developing them graphically. We'll have news for you soon!

 This Week's Topic: WINDOWS

1. ARTICLE & VIDEO ... Use Quick Assist to Help Someone Remotely
2. COMMUNICATING ... 2 Secrets for Setting Yourself Apart in Job Hunting
3. LEADERSHIP ... Reading as a Skill Building Tool
4. WEBINARS ... Animated Gifs & Videos <http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=00145wQuC4s-KAt9z1JNRG1rvk6UuGjo564WWqWXnigom5SNX_y_KVswUrGO4DDnHzA17eZrhjSUnaHFtMDV1gE-3WxYWwq1ajmFTZG7yfnnAeEgkWO_-awh5ShlxGO_zPaX93iDJfaaXpaXDjKSqaW-XF4_fk3dn97&c=VMCrtVn-fIRm5brYiBy10skbbB5_2TSNEZSnG-EoJiOIokseEKen5g==&ch=RRkWiywevHQqOc7QO579cywbfFStOxDtKKUfr34NOM0L-tqGHIQokA==> (10/7); Oral Histories for Libraries<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=00145wQuC4s-KAt9z1JNRG1rvk6UuGjo564WWqWXnigom5SNX_y_KVswUrGO4DDnHzA17eZrhjSUnaHFtMDV1gE-3WxYWwq1ajmFTZG7yfnnAeEgkWO_-awh5ShlxGO_zPaX93iDJfaaXpaXDjKSqaW-XF4_fk3dn97&c=VMCrtVn-fIRm5brYiBy10skbbB5_2TSNEZSnG-EoJiOIokseEKen5g==&ch=RRkWiywevHQqOc7QO579cywbfFStOxDtKKUfr34NOM0L-tqGHIQokA==> (10/21) Fillable Forms (Word &Google) <http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=00145wQuC4s-KAt9z1JNRG1rvk6UuGjo564WWqWXnigom5SNX_y_KVswVP2haldiGKjMBLXLtbxFxCjUDbwK6NIX6HZ2jQYvJ9abjYB4_UnxkX_90WVNuLiuDrvfBgy3PNXYjbtACKiJlV_D_W4BECTlHxGqoD_K4RXG0YI0SAMLW2DZg73lufx1hfJN097-xiuEed0b6Q7g7c=&c=VMCrtVn-fIRm5brYiBy10skbbB5_2TSNEZSnG-EoJiOIokseEKen5g==&ch=RRkWiywevHQqOc7QO579cywbfFStOxDtKKUfr34NOM0L-tqGHIQokA==> (11/4); New Pedagogy for Online Learning<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=00145wQuC4s-KAt9z1JNRG1rvk6UuGjo564WWqWXnigom5SNX_y_KVswVP2haldiGKjalBHvEQmybVo_m_ofqb1TDYg15YnL_NPBICAp3XZV1ukxkrJZL7b8FcpTDbrULp_GngF-tcqWyVrockJl2_RneBHov4qBMAYJCimWAZ10ORZSlynHxabu0gn90eLHneztRyi2L4kC9s=&c=VMCrtVn-fIRm5brYiBy10skbbB5_2TSNEZSnG-EoJiOIokseEKen5g==&ch=RRkWiywevHQqOc7QO579cywbfFStOxDtKKUfr34NOM0L-tqGHIQokA==> (11/18)

[https://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/a2aa30bd-6a08-4762-831e-59d23c114253.png]<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=00145wQuC4s-KAt9z1JNRG1rvk6UuGjo564WWqWXnigom5SNX_y_KVswVP2haldiGKjghcyGGi9i3LThaF3RJ2_YP_CtU0C89xCRLbjwdo14Mi3VCfWKU-zLLCaN3gxhVOCAw9_Gcw9kf1IuuM9356rXElDXPRUSmbNRvKWU46GtWaRdeyi5WNiOca9Kx2aSVx6p7m_acV_LKUlI0HwIIteiw==&c=VMCrtVn-fIRm5brYiBy10skbbB5_2TSNEZSnG-EoJiOIokseEKen5g==&ch=RRkWiywevHQqOc7QO579cywbfFStOxDtKKUfr34NOM0L-tqGHIQokA==>

Photo by Bernd Schulz<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=00145wQuC4s-KAt9z1JNRG1rvk6UuGjo564WWqWXnigom5SNX_y_KVswVP2haldiGKjyEwt7oIs-6Xzp1gpCOzvILA3UUaQp1lkYIJWuov4hfQQCtS2kOCkuPwn8dbuQgsmtR-BCghe4NAMg_x_cfYPBcx8Dx-2zn2ub0uuVItbxQ1C3tuGqs_hFfmUsS0OhQQWo-eekfhVwlOjCbIHKyeV1uVs3b_mY4HEKAQyJWwomzCGrcTHxoADkGJdYo3zinH9&c=VMCrtVn-fIRm5brYiBy10skbbB5_2TSNEZSnG-EoJiOIokseEKen5g==&ch=RRkWiywevHQqOc7QO579cywbfFStOxDtKKUfr34NOM0L-tqGHIQokA==> on Unsplash<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=00145wQuC4s-KAt9z1JNRG1rvk6UuGjo564WWqWXnigom5SNX_y_KVswa1qJegRrnVwV3jo46XUUQTGiTIpfEPOKOlDnMsU3gi6vm_80JtmW-76veg6inssvFzw2dSMPrNrT3ljgE1Cjg7lc5wQJOVnxuc521fmk332c0ta6UQ6g-yGKYCQkLCabJ25U70XNNvLLpcOCmhpWjj3Z2GZ-fk2R2GTkWtxQaMPqVXiJ7AlYHNxjwJHO5F7qe0lblDpQ0HSg4zMdJngfiY=&c=VMCrtVn-fIRm5brYiBy10skbbB5_2TSNEZSnG-EoJiOIokseEKen5g==&ch=RRkWiywevHQqOc7QO579cywbfFStOxDtKKUfr34NOM0L-tqGHIQokA==>

Brought To You By State Library of Oregon

[State of Oregon]

Visit Tech-Talk.com Database<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=00145wQuC4s-KAt9z1JNRG1rvk6UuGjo564WWqWXnigom5SNX_y_KVswXlNsE3auP7RNpJ8_ECixF6soufTvT7v6NABRT7XBj7unqBOyT8sGcztf0O49_elycKujG4Ogz0hKsyn4yWjDLz-EgAr1HbMvGkFraEHPZFJ&c=VMCrtVn-fIRm5brYiBy10skbbB5_2TSNEZSnG-EoJiOIokseEKen5g==&ch=RRkWiywevHQqOc7QO579cywbfFStOxDtKKUfr34NOM0L-tqGHIQokA==>

Username: ORLIBTECH
Password: ORLIBTECH

Questions about Tech-Talk?
darci.hanning at state.or.us<mailto:darci.hanning at state.or.us>

WINDOWS - Use Quick Assist to Help Someone Remotely
Intermediate

[working remotely]

So many people are working remotely now, either full or part-time. But when you're by yourself and have a computer question ... you need tech assistance ... what do you do? You can't ask a colleague working in the office next to you. And trying to describe an issue and take screenshots of it to forward to your IT support can be a hassle.

Or maybe you occasionally get calls from a parent in need of help with a website or to fix a technical issue they're having on their computer. If you're not in the same room it can be both frustrating and time-consuming to understand and provide assistance over the phone.

Well, if both you and the other person have Windows 10, there's a new app that enables you to receive or provide assistance over a remote connection… with no additional tools needed.

Windows 10 comes with an app called Quick Assist. It's automatically part of Windows 10. When activated, Quick Assist creates a remote connection to another computer so that you can securely take control of it (with permission).

In a nutshell, it works like this -- if I'm trying to help you:

1.  I open my Quick Assist app and click the button to Assist another person. I'm given a 6-digit security code.
2.  You open Quick Assist on your computer and enter in the security code I give to you… and voila – we're connected! I can see and take over controls of your computer to give you the help you need!

[quick assist]

So when you need help, or you want to help someone else (a colleague, student, friend, etc) with a computer question or issue... the Quick Assist app is a solution to get connected.

Before Using Quick Assist ... the System Requirements

There are a few requirements before you can use Quick Assist.

·     Both computers need to have Windows 10 (version1607 or later). To see your version of Windows, go to Settings, choose the System icon and click on About. Your edition will show under Windows specifications. If either computer isn't running a current Windows 10 version, you can go to Settings, then select Update & Security, and click on the Windows Update option.

·     The person initiating the remote assistance must have a Microsoft user account – like an Office 365, Microsoft 365 or a free email account with Outlook or Hotmail. If you don't have one, the Quick Assist app will allow you to create an account for free.

·     There are safeguards. You can't remote into another computer without someone there initially to grant permission.

·     Since this is a remote connection, Internet access on both computers needs to be available.

Four Steps to Get Connected

1. The person who wants to access another computer needs to open Quick Assist first ... while the other person is ready and waiting.

[start Quick Assist]

A. In the search bar in the bottom left of the toolbar, type Quick Assist and select the app from the results.

If it does not appear, you will need to make sure you are running a current version of Windows 10.

[Assist another person]

B. Click the blue Assist another person button at the bottom of the window.

NOTE: If you are not already signed into your Microsoft account, you'll be prompted to do so.

[code]

C. Quick Assist will give you a one-time 6-digit security code that expires after 10 minutes.

You can share this code with the person that you're giving assistance to by phone, email or text.

2. Now, the person that requires assistance needs to open Quick Assist. The steps are the same as above:

·     In the search bar in the bottom left of the toolbar, type Quick Assist and select the app from the results. (if it does not appear, you will need to make sure you are running a current version of Windows 10).

·     Next, enter the 6-digit code that was given and press Share Screen.

[enter the code]

[sharing control]

3. Once you have confirmed the screen share, the person initiating the connection will see a box prompting a request for a sharing option of either:

·     Full Control (be able to make changes on their computer) or

·     View screen (to just view the other person's screen)

[allow button]

4. And the last step is for the person sharing their screen to click the final "Allow" button.

What Each Person Can Do

If you have given View screen access only to the support person, they can see, but not make changes to your computer. This is a good option if you want to show someone a problem, but maintain control of your desktop.

If you have given Take full control access, the person remotely accessing your computer will see your desktop. Here they can take control of your mouse and do almost anything on your computer regarding the programs, files and settings.

The Quick Assist toolbar provides options to the person remoting in (going from left to right):

[toolbar]

·     Select Monitor - Choose which monitor to view if there is more than one.
·     Annotate - Create notes on the screen (these go away when you exit the session).
·     Actual Size - Change the screen view size.
·     Toggle Instruction Channel - Send a chat message to the other person.
·     Restart - Send a Restart command to the computer. It also gives the ability to instantly reconnect the Quick Assist without starting a new session after the restart.
·     Task Manager - Access the Task Manager on the remote pc.
·     Pause - Create a temporary pause in the screen share connection.
·     End - When the remote session is complete, end the session.

When the support person has remoted into your computer, you have a few control options.

[quick assist remote]

In the Quick Assist toolbar, you can:

·     Pause the connection.
·     Use the chat button to send a message.
·     Click the "X" in the upper right to close the session.

What a great tool to provide assistance and support, even one-on-one training.

[https://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/41d9a61c-7e5a-4de3-b0a4-4021dd05cea3.png]

Communications: Writing
Two Secrets for Setting Yourself Apart in Job Hunting,
#1: Focus on Results

We all know how difficult it is to be "seen" in the job market. Especially these days, when the first step is to submit a resume ... and sometimes a cover letter.

I can tell you as an employer for many years, that there are two things you can do to set yourself apart from the pack. These "secrets" (because almost no one knows them) are fairly easy to do, and when you do them, they stick out like a sore thumb.

Employers will sit up and take notice!

My advice is to use these two secrets in both your resume and your cover letter. TIP: If you aren't asked for a cover letter, include one anyway. This is where you can insert the key items you want them to see from your resume ... which by the way include the two secret elements.

Secret #1: Results!!!

No matter what your roles and responsibilities have been for the positions you identify in your resume, always put a Results line or section at the end. If you can, use numbers. If not, put an anecdotal statement.

Why? Because no employer wants to pay someone to show up and sleepwalk through the job. They are hiring for that position because it's a valuable role, which means that something will be the result of your doing it. Figure out what it was and write it down.

Here are some examples of Results statements:

·     Doubled revenues within the first two years.
·     The artist received a priceless New York Times review.
·     Profit ten times greater than that of the previous year; sold-out performances.
·     Excellent client rapport and high receptivity to audit findings and recommendations.
·     Gained a market share five times greater than the average florist in greater Rochester metropolitan area, within the first three years.
·     A review of the facility and procedures resulted in a rating of outstanding the highest rating possible.
·     Recipient of the European Award for superior performance.

See Sample Resumes with "Results"<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=00145wQuC4s-KAt9z1JNRG1rvk6UuGjo564WWqWXnigom5SNX_y_KVswVP2haldiGKjqEovV3oQYBoTUlF0Oo87N_GxnQoAgkAYIIiSk99KKg0WI1dYSe6xxo1Hzf6nXoqIaBIB7daHajZEofUeyp67eeHYg9UJZKcpdFwca1iH-4LEWgt-BnLvp3KtIPL6pYTPc0lzBek_SoiRLnj68TvUIioKWJ520T2mhmeXhee9j9xYKCliDzmQ8_Z-KDfexsZI&c=VMCrtVn-fIRm5brYiBy10skbbB5_2TSNEZSnG-EoJiOIokseEKen5g==&ch=RRkWiywevHQqOc7QO579cywbfFStOxDtKKUfr34NOM0L-tqGHIQokA==>

"What if I don't have any results?" Make them up ... OK, before you think I'm suggesting you lie, listen to this. You know best (in your gut) what was happening before you came and what the change was because you were in the job. Estimate!

Give it your best guess. Don't fabricate something out of nothing. Instead, give value to what you've accomplished and put that on your resume. Then allude to it in your cover letter. Employers will welcome your attention to results and will be more likely to take a closer look at you.

Stay Tuned Next Week for Secret #2!

[https://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/da1c6ee9-ba35-4af5-9c80-8e1b5781189e.png]

Leadership
Reading as a skill-building tool

I've told you before about the company SEI where the vision and aspirations of its employees are the primary focus of the corporation. (With this culture they continue to achieve double-digit growth every year, so you know it works.)

The CEO, Ron Alvesteffer, writes a regular blog, which I find spot on from an Egalitarian Leader perspective. Here is an excerpt that credits reading of books, bit by bit, every day as a means for self-improvement. I want to share it with you today.

* * * * *

For the past 20 years, I've been reading an average of 12 books a year. I accomplish this by reading around 10-15 minutes per day. When you're consistent and read 5 days a week for around 10-15 minutes, you can complete one large book a month!

Throughout my career at Service Express, I've been working hard to achieve this annual average.

Reading has helped me learn more about leadership, business and finance ... although it’s not always about business and leadership ... sometimes I mix in personal development.

I've found that the better I am here at work, the better I am at home and vice versa. That's why I enjoy focusing on improving myself too.

[http://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/b13a7a6a-7445-4d8e-b741-4b475385ef5b.png]<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=00145wQuC4s-KAt9z1JNRG1rvk6UuGjo564WWqWXnigom5SNX_y_KVswbEEu8eTNWPv5wPyUS9D6hnfV0iatQFrbl1K2hbBJqOi8XKR64bl0XDQz8IQQa_SsUzyjfcQ9ejTang3YD5ZdpvWV58dRA5fA2uS6eLmDkqS&c=VMCrtVn-fIRm5brYiBy10skbbB5_2TSNEZSnG-EoJiOIokseEKen5g==&ch=RRkWiywevHQqOc7QO579cywbfFStOxDtKKUfr34NOM0L-tqGHIQokA==>

[Ask a question]<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=00145wQuC4s-KAt9z1JNRG1rvk6UuGjo564WWqWXnigom5SNX_y_KVswesNPVVqdaCbeOnzd5Ryv62o5i3CetaV_7PNEGeZTPWq1bPdJwoAy-09jCFGKfUQBGNMDrDof3x_89DnqUlJPvEyiZ1h9mN2bHmIf00tdjQ_d7uSxHE9C-k=&c=VMCrtVn-fIRm5brYiBy10skbbB5_2TSNEZSnG-EoJiOIokseEKen5g==&ch=RRkWiywevHQqOc7QO579cywbfFStOxDtKKUfr34NOM0L-tqGHIQokA==>

Copyright 1996-2020 Shared Results International. Published weekly. Distribution is limited by license. For information on how to include additional recipients, contact support at tech-talk.com<mailto:support at tech-talk.com> 941-355-2092.

The Tech-Talk e-newsletter for Oregon library staff is distributed weekly via the Libs-OR and TechTalk mailing lists. Know someone who might be interested in receiving a copy but they’re not on TechTalk or Libs-OR mailing lists? Have them contact darci.hanning at state.or.us<mailto:darci.hanning at state.or.us> or visit http://listsmart.osl.state.or.us/mailman/listinfo/techtalk to subscribe to just the Tech-Talk newsletter!

Tech-Talk is a paid subscription service for staff of Oregon libraries and is supported in whole by the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS) through the Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA), administered by the State Library of Oregon.

Cheers,
Darci Hanning, MLIS
Public Library Consultant / CE Coordinator
Continuing Education Resources: https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/conted
darci.hanning at state.or.us<mailto:darci.hanning at state.or.us> | 971-375-3491 | www.oregon.gov/library<https://www.oregon.gov/library>
Follow us: Facebook<http://fb.me/StateLibraryOR> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/StateLibraryOR> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/statelibraryor/> | Pinterest<https://pinterest.com/statelibraryor/>

[cid:image001.png at 01D5DB5B.50C9D890]