[techtalk] The C.A.R.S. Checklist for Evaluating Internet Sources

HANNING Darci C * SLO Darci.HANNING at slo.oregon.gov
Tue Nov 30 15:38:06 PST 2021

Welcome to the latest issue of Tech-Talk!
Reminder: When accessing resources at the Tech-Talk website<https://www.tech-talk.com/>, use ORLIBTECH
for both the username and password when prompted.
Use these steps with evaluating content on the Internet

[https://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/470df2da-b8fb-4b32-95fb-8f6331e9910d.png]

[December theme]<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001CenE7e3nFlYaDlRs_hzZNF_OJQHvXjVdPWBC5iSrz63utTIRbglDBfDgHzzSrJoi1G1Hm4ACqqyx0NKFF-Yw383XgJcyiW2EiT_dwHtq3qBr6C5ICS0Fk3t7maEXTcW0-6D1uVK0IzwEltMZVVPwVWUhR3BNEYyl&c=s3OzQMGv0MJOgLCTJWO1URiQ4IR6Go5Axnr4QzAVFRbFblLLOee-6g==&ch=NVDbUPZiZS6w3yyxHk6USYR3sG2jvoZsgtDqnTJ9I72WQubR6HnYQQ==>
See DECEMBER THEME

Fun & Games Month!

·     Generate a Crossword and Other Puzzles With a Free Web Tool
·     Make PPT Presentations Fun and Interactive with Games
More ..<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001CenE7e3nFlYaDlRs_hzZNF_OJQHvXjVdPWBC5iSrz63utTIRbglDBfDgHzzSrJoi1G1Hm4ACqqyx0NKFF-Yw383XgJcyiW2EiT_dwHtq3qBr6C5ICS0Fk3t7maEXTcW0-6D1uVK0IzwEltMZVVPwVWUhR3BNEYyl&c=s3OzQMGv0MJOgLCTJWO1URiQ4IR6Go5Axnr4QzAVFRbFblLLOee-6g==&ch=NVDbUPZiZS6w3yyxHk6USYR3sG2jvoZsgtDqnTJ9I72WQubR6HnYQQ==>.

This Week's Topic: INTERNET

1. ARTICLE & VIDEO ... The C.A.R.S. Checklist for Evaluating Internet Sources
2. COMMUNICATING ... Touch communications in the workplace
3. LEADERSHIP ... Equip your employees with skills
4. WEBINARS ... (Yes, Patrons, Students, Staff join with library's username. No fee.)

·     Dec 1: [Graphics] Best Tips for Using Graphics in Word & PPT (Basic & Inter)
·     Dec 15: [Excel] Best Tips for Working in Excel (Basic & Inter)
·     Jan 5: [Google] Create Dynamic Forms That Produce Individualized Certificates
·     Jan 19: [Desktop] Organizing Your Desktop and Email to Start the Year

Register for Webinars<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001CenE7e3nFlYaDlRs_hzZNF_OJQHvXjVdPWBC5iSrz63utTIRbglDBej20i8TxLkEuzyRWeJQ6C0LqADSiUv3UcWvMGrZ1zzfCsmGpYL5uJzmodgZ62y2UlsVQujAoqPNucLUPelcNF_0iefDvkBzSxC2msuourG5&c=s3OzQMGv0MJOgLCTJWO1URiQ4IR6Go5Axnr4QzAVFRbFblLLOee-6g==&ch=NVDbUPZiZS6w3yyxHk6USYR3sG2jvoZsgtDqnTJ9I72WQubR6HnYQQ==>

[cute dog]<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001CenE7e3nFlYaDlRs_hzZNF_OJQHvXjVdPWBC5iSrz63utTIRbglDBX3FbkLyzwuiDUduG3-OU9EpDk9VNlZTIA0X5-YU4DcoyRTxctV1W7p8oKxj01dr0M72s6Osoy8YpSEDbWGru90O-yU_IJYJqaSff-kyyO-4NvmEUhoY3o5Nh5IglGpL4JKXz6mZgMXaFxmpVJDTKELCfcWqAybMJReLqUwOxI0O&c=s3OzQMGv0MJOgLCTJWO1URiQ4IR6Go5Axnr4QzAVFRbFblLLOee-6g==&ch=NVDbUPZiZS6w3yyxHk6USYR3sG2jvoZsgtDqnTJ9I72WQubR6HnYQQ==>

Photo by Jamie Street<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001CenE7e3nFlYaDlRs_hzZNF_OJQHvXjVdPWBC5iSrz63utTIRbglDBblTtbzRQyj4i8CDwkmiWI51ha9SRHb6hIBizvJnA6S_7p60a64buKGwTb9H4oChmKUvRbN-a1eEutM-M7rwJz8OEZ5rN5O5bdEiLL00IUQlnawpFtSY4gxy2eIxx4dqUNNOq9UC8VeCUaB1Exj1SmCqZdmt6IAus7RsyFZSJmWFXVjLJwS9mf6gJMzT_Qz15QxWLbZ3jj1Hoth9YPUj-fA=&c=s3OzQMGv0MJOgLCTJWO1URiQ4IR6Go5Axnr4QzAVFRbFblLLOee-6g==&ch=NVDbUPZiZS6w3yyxHk6USYR3sG2jvoZsgtDqnTJ9I72WQubR6HnYQQ==> on Unsplash<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001CenE7e3nFlYaDlRs_hzZNF_OJQHvXjVdPWBC5iSrz63utTIRbglDBX3FbkLyzwuiYogLpHEKJ7TLI7h8frtu77ZYznrnp0j6vgyAp5_JwI14jE0A8YMLXBAFElWrWQxW_k1CABUrS8CJ_TusreRLD18Ec-e-tv7vzkaMHW77_BpGpDmebX3tdkEDyrWu5ffRaCZEj0YUCZLwa6o7q4JuBydxtCw-pKycTLs4IRO2Tyj1YoNO19FcLinOryTVnCrNNp_u3xpDO3biCe9e_tjrb-qZoMeJb26B&c=s3OzQMGv0MJOgLCTJWO1URiQ4IR6Go5Axnr4QzAVFRbFblLLOee-6g==&ch=NVDbUPZiZS6w3yyxHk6USYR3sG2jvoZsgtDqnTJ9I72WQubR6HnYQQ==>

[https://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/e25f6bcf-26a8-4e59-91f2-cc248962042d.png]<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001CenE7e3nFlYaDlRs_hzZNF_OJQHvXjVdPWBC5iSrz63utTIRbglDBXaqW3yT6d5dC9DlOVD0jFB__NeOWkg8sRIQawk1rYECC683UbpTfV-YCHxfvTSBYauTqGRXsb3GlMHsu7bN1UR1q0Lu5ytg5qCdgC2te-Qw&c=s3OzQMGv0MJOgLCTJWO1URiQ4IR6Go5Axnr4QzAVFRbFblLLOee-6g==&ch=NVDbUPZiZS6w3yyxHk6USYR3sG2jvoZsgtDqnTJ9I72WQubR6HnYQQ==>

INTERNET - The C.A.R.S. Checklist for Evaluating Internet Sources
Novice

[research]

When you're doing research online, or just reading an interesting article, how do you know if the content is reputable and accurate?

The Internet is full of blogs, websites, posts … with information that anyone can publish. How can you determine if it is credible before you share or cite the content?

Before you assume that "since it's on the Internet, it must be true" take a few minutes to evaluate the source to make sure that it's not bogus.

[https://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/bbb83a6b-7e97-4511-b18e-7576c735ab19.png]

How do you do this? One tool that is especially useful is the C.A.R.S. Checklist. It was developed by Dr. Robert Harris, a writer and educator with more than 25 years of teaching experience at the college and university level.

The C.A.R.S. Checklist is a way to evaluate online information. It asks you to look for Credibility, Accuracy, Reasonableness, and Support before deciding to use or trust an information source.

Evaluating Internet Content and Sources

Here's how you apply the C.A.R.S. Checklist to an article you're considering:

Credibility
First, is the source created by a person or group who knows the subject and who cares about how it is presented.

·     Is the creator/author's name listed?
·     Does the creator list information showing that they are experts in that information?
·     Does the website have an .edu, .org, or .gov ending in its URL?

Accuracy
Is it a source with information that is current, complete, and correct?

·     Based on the reading you have already done on the subject does the information on the site seem accurate?
·     Is the website free of spelling errors, grammatical errors, dead links, or other problems?

Reasonableness
Does it appear to be a source that is truthful and unbiased?

·     Does the website avoid advertising that does not seem appropriate?
·     Does it present both sides of an issue, or is it one opinion only?
·     Do you trust the author that has created the website?

Support
Does it have verifiable sources of information?

·     Is there a bibliography or sources listed?
·     Is there a way to contact the author organization?

Additional Things to look out for:

·     The Domain Name (.gov, .edu, .com) can tell you about the creator of the website.
·     Look at the "About Us" or "Contact Us" page. It can lead you to more information about the creator of the website.

Get a Copy of This Well-Regarded Checklist
So that you have this checklist handy, you can download it here:

Download Your Copy of the C.A.R.S. Checklist<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001CenE7e3nFlYaDlRs_hzZNF_OJQHvXjVdPWBC5iSrz63utTIRbglDBX3FbkLyzwui2QM_kNmwIdeS-nCs9Kxw30seYvvuhF6GUKO_vphvyJ5YIR7SGRrDPhf4a-Nd4Z3oA_KzvWxq5vhOlnUZsyrGL82ncQiewnNrOSlOjgaZ08IfhMAKnrtwvSY7llT-OJhT6s4G4dcIUWKd0DVUplDhbJ6ogBqgsG_57XDVddQvFV7tqkPwCRK8zg==&c=s3OzQMGv0MJOgLCTJWO1URiQ4IR6Go5Axnr4QzAVFRbFblLLOee-6g==&ch=NVDbUPZiZS6w3yyxHk6USYR3sG2jvoZsgtDqnTJ9I72WQubR6HnYQQ==>

Reference: Harris, Robert 2010, 'Evaluating Internet Research Sources'. VirtualSalt.

[https://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/41d9a61c-7e5a-4de3-b0a4-4021dd05cea3.png]

Communication: Touching
Physical Communication at Work

Sometimes I watch the Game Show channel on TV and see some really old programs. Because these episodes were filmed so long ago, it's interesting (and sometimes uncomfortable) to see how much touching went on at that time. It was everything from: keeping an arm around someone for long periods of time to hugging and squeezing as part of ordinary conversation ... and even kissing to show thanks or in celebration.

Yes, I know it's entertainment, but these are stars interacting with ordinary people. It's game show hosts communicating with guest celebrities and players. I wonder as I watch if this touching was considered inappropriate at that time.

Well, whether it was or not, we need to consider the role touching might have as a communication tool in the workplace now.

Obviously, touching at work has taken on new significance in the last few years. With the pandemic fresh in our minds, along with the #MeToo movement, our physical boundaries have broadened. Even shaking hands is uncomfortable for some now.

What CAN We Do With Touching?

While the dust has not settled yet on this topic, here are a few guidelines that you might want to use for touching (or not touching) others at work.

1. Yes, reaching out to touch someone can be a warm gesture, but not everyone likes it! Be respectful and avoid it if you don't know the person well enough to know their preference.

2. If you want to shake hands, ask first. "Are we shaking?" or "Do we shake hands?"

3. Be aware of gender. If you're slapping someone on the back, you're in a better position to do so if the individual is the same gender as you ... otherwise it may seem flirtatious or even worse.

4. The only possible parts to touch of another person's body at work are arms, shoulders and back ... and even those may be off-limits to many these days.

5. If you are going to touch, make sure it's light and short. Don't linger. Make it quick.

6. Notice how people react when you touch them. If they pull back or stiffen, you may want to apologize ("Sorry" or "Excuse me")... and be careful not to do it again.

Your personal boundaries do not equal others. Be cognizant of differences ... and communicate respect with your touching (and not touching).

[https://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/da1c6ee9-ba35-4af5-9c80-8e1b5781189e.png]

Leadership
#3: Equip Your Employees With Skills

As we talk about the five ways to make sure that good employees don't become organizationally indifferent, we need to look at how well we "equip" them.

One of the biggest mistakes a leader can make is to assume your team members have all the skills they need to do their job well.

Just because someone was great at his/her last job doesn't mean that he/she will not need training for the new or current one.

More often than not, employees will have the basic skills necessary to do the job. However, when you give people the opportunity to further develop their skills, they can often get the job done more effectively and efficiently.

Most employees crave professional development. If you want to keep them from becoming organizationally indifferent, you need to equip them with the necessary skill training so that they can reach their full potential.

If they ask for learning, offer it. If they don't ask, find out what they need. This shows that you care about the professional development of your colleagues and that you are willing to invest in them for the betterment of the organization. If they feel that you don't care, that attitude will be reflected in the work they produce.

[http://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/b13a7a6a-7445-4d8e-b741-4b475385ef5b.png]<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001CenE7e3nFlYaDlRs_hzZNF_OJQHvXjVdPWBC5iSrz63utTIRbglDBfuI-9-cj6zhL3ooxsFtOUwfxtm6m--mYlHvsX5jbmfKufgqnMO7TjeH5yaXGHXPzPGi4r11X18cJlD4xDO12xotxl45NGY_iWm7cR2RZat-&c=s3OzQMGv0MJOgLCTJWO1URiQ4IR6Go5Axnr4QzAVFRbFblLLOee-6g==&ch=NVDbUPZiZS6w3yyxHk6USYR3sG2jvoZsgtDqnTJ9I72WQubR6HnYQQ==>
[Ask a question]<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001CenE7e3nFlYaDlRs_hzZNF_OJQHvXjVdPWBC5iSrz63utTIRbglDBYPRTggT4vVSQyMzsSlTcrZeNPAvWuGhQ2-WqwQEJS9k2lu-TSXaBlFoxtyLAb1mvDTnJBKxiN8xbGyeeureW8eymX2rCUcU_ZXvh-o2J37v3K_xseiyBY0=&c=s3OzQMGv0MJOgLCTJWO1URiQ4IR6Go5Axnr4QzAVFRbFblLLOee-6g==&ch=NVDbUPZiZS6w3yyxHk6USYR3sG2jvoZsgtDqnTJ9I72WQubR6HnYQQ==>

Copyright 1996-2021 Shared Results International. Published weekly. Distribution is limited by license. For information on how to include additional recipients, contact support at tech-talk.com<mailto:support at tech-talk.com> 941-355-2092.

The Tech-Talk e-newsletter for Oregon library staff is distributed weekly via the Libs-OR and TechTalk mailing lists. Know someone who might be interested in receiving a copy but they’re not on TechTalk or Libs-OR mailing lists? Have them contact darci.hanning at slo.oregon.gov<mailto:darci.hanning at slo.oregon.gov> or visit http://listsmart.osl.state.or.us/mailman/listinfo/techtalk to subscribe to just the Tech-Talk newsletter!

Tech-Talk is a paid subscription service for staff of Oregon libraries and is supported in whole by the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS) through the Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA), administered by the State Library of Oregon.

Cheers,
Darci Hanning, MLIS (she/her/hers)
Public Library Consultant / CE Coordinator
State Library of Oregon | Library Support and Development Services
971-375-3491 | darci.hanning at slo.oregon.gov<mailto:darci.hanning at slo.oregon.gov> | www.oregon.gov/library<http://www.oregon.gov/library>
Follow @StateLibraryOR: Facebook<http://fb.me/StateLibraryOR> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/StateLibraryOR> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/statelibraryor/> | Pinterest<https://pinterest.com/statelibraryor/> | YouTube<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-kU8Gu0jS_YcnXg-b_TRA/featured>
Continuing Education Resources: https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/conted
 [cid:image001.png at 01D7E5FF.5EC24490]