[techtalk] SOCIAL MEDIA - Getting Started with Instagram

HANNING Darci C * SLO darci.hanning at slo.oregon.gov
Tue Jan 2 16:25:48 PST 2024

Welcome to the latest issue of Tech-Talk!
Reminder: When accessing resources at the Tech-Talk website<https://www.tech-talk.com/login/oregon>, use ORLIBTECH
for both the username and password when prompted.

Tech-Talk is a paid subscription service for staff of Oregon libraries and is supported in whole by the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS) through the Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA), administered by the State Library of Oregon.

Instagram 101

[Tech-Talk 27 years]

[video]<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001taeqUK0DbqGx4pnEcWBI_7nWf06PDCjJsx90oz5I_hQfIWPLJkUM5sVFw6XZRfMAS7Z67nSpEj8KAgtN7ggylg_vIVb2ex5F-uvPIlbqYtkP0zAMrvDv5oSo92d5cTzQ6mynr9yAFa_eBKbYjbfofRNTwjLfmWwAin68zlH04jAxLeIsf1-nRXL0X_DJGvr-&c=Faac-rvH1n-_8hx-XFj2rLKUUam58ytnmofz1q0ES6RlWfF41HE4OQ==&ch=tE5vzYPPZ4laR_c6dEIrcZmvpG9bX_wa-8qqjlmPwZvxsZpOEatWZw==>

Photo by Vidar Nordli-Mathisen<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001taeqUK0DbqGx4pnEcWBI_7nWf06PDCjJsx90oz5I_hQfIWPLJkUM5uyUfpRXUnymJbqRSIYWT40nYL4s8igF63N_qJNEHeJTQWqolnajL7GT3m-cQLhL-W9SQpACsaKTdoqDQk9f_qX4saWjFxH2HrAJe5Wu_l5XYfd3LXnpWfPAs85_WwNhljnQm2YmEXkfzdoLxjaSWYHQJiyI8nZxje-Wh09_OasaqwcgAhIiSbNdx15EAeVa1gTHKmtYJKRd&c=Faac-rvH1n-_8hx-XFj2rLKUUam58ytnmofz1q0ES6RlWfF41HE4OQ==&ch=tE5vzYPPZ4laR_c6dEIrcZmvpG9bX_wa-8qqjlmPwZvxsZpOEatWZw==> on Unsplash<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001taeqUK0DbqGx4pnEcWBI_7nWf06PDCjJsx90oz5I_hQfIWPLJkUM5uyUfpRXUnymjAw6cEaewPe6laM0Fs09f0rSzX1sT10Y2AKmHUPTFdARnfFlyF0Xm7sN_YeEOUzMqp8jC2iMLxrcx4OrARUfB092swhD6vhTtRTQ3jOqvSm17qaWZedPFgxdfIfkHU0kmTTSxjBH-Sdj-TNEMbH-4LodbUxgdr-yk92iSKMb9NklEabdvWmBZw6FZ4tdLg9_ilWXWQuyuy1zdALi6FMjKmRjZIsMKPTyStyD5dZBjAH85Nf3Zt4rArRZN-hTA0NV&c=Faac-rvH1n-_8hx-XFj2rLKUUam58ytnmofz1q0ES6RlWfF41HE4OQ==&ch=tE5vzYPPZ4laR_c6dEIrcZmvpG9bX_wa-8qqjlmPwZvxsZpOEatWZw==>

[https://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/e25f6bcf-26a8-4e59-91f2-cc248962042d.png]<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001taeqUK0DbqGx4pnEcWBI_7nWf06PDCjJsx90oz5I_hQfIWPLJkUM5l2h29aUgb3VaCi_9i7fDq_Z98hJCohsT2wvvD0uHte8lhnf3IUxIjDG_WEhJW-h0yoqOE_NlBL0P_6l7siih0UTDJiJGfT_9cbWXrCtGics&c=Faac-rvH1n-_8hx-XFj2rLKUUam58ytnmofz1q0ES6RlWfF41HE4OQ==&ch=tE5vzYPPZ4laR_c6dEIrcZmvpG9bX_wa-8qqjlmPwZvxsZpOEatWZw==>

Webinars for You

·    RESCHEDULED for Jan 3: [EXCEL] Create a Gantt Chart for Managing Projects and Time [3 pm ET for 1 hour]

·    Jan 10: [SOCIAL MEDIA] Instagram 101... A Beginner's Guide to Social Success [3 pm ET for 1 hour]

·    Jan 24: [ORGANIZE] Desktop Organization - Simplify Your Computer Life [3 pm ET for 1 hour]

·    Feb 14: [PPT/G-SLIDES] Make Your Presentations Sizzle!  [3 pm ET for 1 hour]

View Webinars and Register Here<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001taeqUK0DbqGx4pnEcWBI_7nWf06PDCjJsx90oz5I_hQfIWPLJkUM5mWbugWrcjXOHJoPbBGRy1FQqC18-N8PJZ38H6-IikeZzN8EE-TLYlSX2Nvzh2bfH43dfrO0FGHTNMSOVC1VRdW-mi1rL4mhRXr2MhY1CccF&c=Faac-rvH1n-_8hx-XFj2rLKUUam58ytnmofz1q0ES6RlWfF41HE4OQ==&ch=tE5vzYPPZ4laR_c6dEIrcZmvpG9bX_wa-8qqjlmPwZvxsZpOEatWZw==>

SOCIAL MEDIA - Getting Started with Instagram

Novice

We received a question from a Tech-Talk reader about why ... if they already post to Facebook ... should they set up an Instagram account as well. What can "IG" do that Facebook can't and how do you use it?

[Instagram]

It can be hard to decide which social media platforms to use as there are so many choices… Facebook, YouTube, the new Twitter called "X", TikTok, Snapchat, and the list goes on.

Before spending the time to use any social media, one of the main questions to ask is "Where are my friends and colleagues or potential patrons/customers hanging out?" Posting can be for fun or part of an organization's marketing strategy. Either way, these communication tools are two-way so you want to be sure your efforts will result in meaningful interactions.

In this article, we're looking at Instagram, a platform known for: 1) posts containing images and videos promoting lifestyle tips, and 2) providing entertainment and motivation. If you haven't jumped into the "Insta" world yet, let's look at the basics of this social network so that you know if it's for you … and if so, how to get started.

A Bit About This Social Media Powerhouse

[Instagram]

Instagram was launched in 2010 and purchased by Facebook in 2012. It was known as the favorite place for posting pictures. Currently, this platform has over 2.4 billion users worldwide and has added post types known as Stories and Reels (more on that below).

Consider these stats if you're trying to find your audience:

·    Instagram is the 4th most popular social media app falling behind Facebook, YouTube and WhatsApp (NOTE: Stats for TikTok could not be determined).
·    Users spend an average of 33 minutes per day on the platform.
·    In the US, 56.5% of users are female and 43.5% are male.

How is Instagram Different Than Facebook?

Going back to our reader's questions, let's clarify the main differences between Instagram and Facebook:

·    Instagram emphasizes images more than any other social media platform - that's their hook.

·    Unlike Facebook, posting to Instagram can only be done on a mobile device, not from a desktop computer (you can view posts from a laptop or desktop, but not post or interact).

·    And in Instagram, you cannot add a clickable link to posts… you know, to direct people to a web page. This can be a bit frustrating. Links can only be added to your bio page.

Like Facebook and other social media sites, you can Follow others, Like what you see, and Post to your page. You can Comment on posts and use the Direct Messaging (DM) feature to chat with other users in private.

Bottom line - when should you use Instagram? From a personal perspective, choose Instagram if that's where your friends hang out. From a business point of view, you can use this platform to reach a younger audience and make strategic use of images and short videos.

Types of Instagram Accounts

[types of accounts]

So if you're ready to join the "Insta" world, first decide what kind of account you'll need.

1.  Personal – A page you can use for yourself… to connect with friends, follow others and share content.
2.  Business – For organizations to promote their brand and products. With this account level, you can gain access to business-specific analytics, pay to promote posts, and more.
3.  Creator – Choose if you are a public figure, "influencer," content creator or artist. This type of account is a step up from the personal one, but not as function-rich as the level.

In this article, we're focusing on personal accounts to get you started. For business, join us on January 10th for a webinar where we'll talk more about using Instagram for organizational needs. See details below.

[webinar]
Upcoming Tech-Talk Webinar!

If you're new to Instagram and want to see these steps LIVE, register for this upcoming beginner-friendly Tech-Talk webinar. We will show you the interface, the different ways to post, what to do to create captivating content, and more!

Register Here<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001taeqUK0DbqGx4pnEcWBI_7nWf06PDCjJsx90oz5I_hQfIWPLJkUM5uyUfpRXUnymtNE0OWP4VqlOzT_QgNdETXazwPmhHY2-UDNJxCuqA6f-30WbFghch0O--tngpnFl2zYviT2NrDRb5Jp0rHX-hN8roe9vtIvz9soN2M6NkrSDflf0G2B6boIgRcDU7XYjOSm4FqdMSB6bGzoy57yNaHUm1T9A6eHHoQYfU6-MFG8=&c=Faac-rvH1n-_8hx-XFj2rLKUUam58ytnmofz1q0ES6RlWfF41HE4OQ==&ch=tE5vzYPPZ4laR_c6dEIrcZmvpG9bX_wa-8qqjlmPwZvxsZpOEatWZw==>

First, Set Up Your Instagram Account

You can create an account from either a smart device or a computer, but you can only post to it from your mobile device.

From your smartphone:

1.  Download the Instagram app from the App Store (iPhone) or Google Play Store (Android).
2.  Then find the Instagram icon on your mobile device and follow the prompts to set up your account with an email address or a personal Facebook account.
3.  Create a username. Also known as a "handle," this will be displayed publicly and is what people see when they view your account (example, @YourIGHandle)
4.  Set up your profile and display picture.
5.  Choose a privacy setting: Private (only people who follow you can see your posts and photos) or Public (anyone can view your posted content).

Or, from a computer: Go to Instagram.com and follow the prompts (as above).

Instagram Layout and Lingo

Before you post for the first time, let's take a tour and get familiar with the Instagram platform and lingo.

Your Feed

When you open the app, you'll view the Home page. Icons across the top include:

[IG home page]
1.  Stories – The circular icons at the top are for Instagram Stories of those people you follow. Stories are like posts, however, they disappear after 24 hours. Just tap to view them or scroll over to see more Stories.
2.  Notifications (Heart icon) – Here you'll see alerts when someone follows you, likes a post or comments.
3.  Direct Messaging (Speech bubble) – Also known as DM's, you can privately send personal messages to one or more users or share posts.

Icons at the Bottom

[post options]
1.  Home – Brings you back to the Home page from other locations in your account.
2.  Explore/Search – Tap the magnifying glass to see trending or recommended stories. Search by topic, person or usernames.
3.  Plus Symbol – Press this to initiate a post to your feed (see the process below).
4.  Video – Goes to the page to view videos known as Reels.
5.  Person icon - Leads to your profile. When others come to your page, this is what they would see. You'll see your own posts, reels and posts you've been tagged in.

The Stuff in the Middle

This area of the screen is called your "Feed." It is filled with recent posts of those you follow, as well as ads and suggested posts of things that Instagram thinks you might like. Below the post (image or video) you'll see:

[post content]
1.  Heart Icon – Tap to "Like" someone's post.
2.  Message Bubble – Read other's comments or add one of your own.
3.  Paper Airplane Icon – Tap to share the post with someone else, add it to your Story, as well as more options.
4.  Save – Add a post to a collection that you've already created or choose to create a new one (if viewing a Reel, tap the three horizontal dots for this option). TIP: To see the posts you've saved, tap your profile icon in the bottom of the screen, then the three horizontal lines and then tap the Saved option.
5.  Likes – The number of people who have "Liked" the post.
6.  Post Caption – The text added to go along with the image or video.
7.  Tagging – This can be used in two ways. You can "tag" people who are in the post, or type "@" followed by their username in the comment section to refer to an IG user (as in this example).
8.  Hashtags – Use hashtags in your message to add context or make the post discoverable by topic to others. Example: #photooftheday

... Article Continued Online ...

Click here to see:<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001taeqUK0DbqGx4pnEcWBI_7nWf06PDCjJsx90oz5I_hQfIWPLJkUM5sVFw6XZRfMAS7Z67nSpEj8KAgtN7ggylg_vIVb2ex5F-uvPIlbqYtkP0zAMrvDv5oSo92d5cTzQ6mynr9yAFa_eBKbYjbfofRNTwjLfmWwAin68zlH04jAxLeIsf1-nRXL0X_DJGvr-&c=Faac-rvH1n-_8hx-XFj2rLKUUam58ytnmofz1q0ES6RlWfF41HE4OQ==&ch=tE5vzYPPZ4laR_c6dEIrcZmvpG9bX_wa-8qqjlmPwZvxsZpOEatWZw==>

1. How to Follow other accounts
2. Types of Posts
3. The Basics of Sharing a Post
[https://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/d6cdee34-8716-4d52-83b6-82b9fd8257e7.png]

View the Entire Article Here<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001taeqUK0DbqGx4pnEcWBI_7nWf06PDCjJsx90oz5I_hQfIWPLJkUM5sVFw6XZRfMAS7Z67nSpEj8KAgtN7ggylg_vIVb2ex5F-uvPIlbqYtkP0zAMrvDv5oSo92d5cTzQ6mynr9yAFa_eBKbYjbfofRNTwjLfmWwAin68zlH04jAxLeIsf1-nRXL0X_DJGvr-&c=Faac-rvH1n-_8hx-XFj2rLKUUam58ytnmofz1q0ES6RlWfF41HE4OQ==&ch=tE5vzYPPZ4laR_c6dEIrcZmvpG9bX_wa-8qqjlmPwZvxsZpOEatWZw==>

[https://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/f8f1ecc8-4884-4c21-8ed0-cf647e6db944.png]

Communication: Self

As we plan for success

Whether we're setting new year goals, doing annual planning or re-invigorating our lives, keeping in mind this quote from Christopher Reeve is handy.

[https://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/821e9289-bdcc-4f33-ae94-612beb5e0b29.png]

[https://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/b13a7a6a-7445-4d8e-b741-4b475385ef5b.png]<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001taeqUK0DbqGx4pnEcWBI_7nWf06PDCjJsx90oz5I_hQfIWPLJkUM5kbZGB-pnE6_ybAZRQnGTXh8prozFgNk4FIfpmkdGCFvjLSWIiv4krYjusG2kZiBzw8tswi5oa0pZkeROFXQaoJ-Zo06t4rC4OUxnn65_qL9&c=Faac-rvH1n-_8hx-XFj2rLKUUam58ytnmofz1q0ES6RlWfF41HE4OQ==&ch=tE5vzYPPZ4laR_c6dEIrcZmvpG9bX_wa-8qqjlmPwZvxsZpOEatWZw==>
[Ask a question]<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001taeqUK0DbqGx4pnEcWBI_7nWf06PDCjJsx90oz5I_hQfIWPLJkUM5uiST9CqS-froKYFMHhegdkiY950zhd8wmC9HWbePeDpeYolDqGSjcbTcbd0pXVlhIx7YOEP1L7h4hor2rZp0WmzE36pFj6csWmmU-jeeN8A0Z02O-Y7I3k=&c=Faac-rvH1n-_8hx-XFj2rLKUUam58ytnmofz1q0ES6RlWfF41HE4OQ==&ch=tE5vzYPPZ4laR_c6dEIrcZmvpG9bX_wa-8qqjlmPwZvxsZpOEatWZw==>

Copyright 1996-2023 Shared Results International. Published weekly. Distribution is limited by license. For information on how to include additional recipients, contact support at tech-talk.com<mailto:support at tech-talk.com> 585-615-7795.

Cheers,
Darci Hanning, MLIS (she/her/hers)
Public Library Consultant / CE Coordinator
Continuing Education Resources: https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/conted

State Library of Oregon | Library Support and Development Services
971-375-3491 | darci.hanning at slo.oregon.gov<mailto:darci.hanning at slo.oregon.gov> | www.oregon.gov/library<http://www.oregon.gov/library>
Follow @StateLibraryOR: Facebook<http://fb.me/StateLibraryOR> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/StateLibraryOR> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/statelibraryor/> | Pinterest<https://pinterest.com/statelibraryor/> | YouTube<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-kU8Gu0jS_YcnXg-b_TRA/featured>

[cid:image001.png at 01DA3D87.4F9FC140]