[TL-Directors] [Libs-Or] State Library Strategic Plan

Jennifer Patterson Jennifer.L.Patterson at state.or.us
Wed Sep 9 12:47:03 PDT 2020

Hi Holly,
Thank you for your questions. The strategic plan stakeholder engagement happened last fall and winter and included engagement with the following groups:

·       OLA Executive Board meeting

·       OASL (Oregon Association of School Libraries) conference

·       OCCLA (Oregon Community College Library Association) meeting

·       Commission for the Blind survey

·       DIGOR (Documents Interest Group of Oregon) meeting

·       Government Services Advisory Council meeting

·       State agency directors survey

·       Oregon Heritage Commission meeting

·       Department of Education meetings

·       REFORMA meeting

·       SOLF (Southern Oregon Library Federation) meeting

·       American Council of the Blind and National Federation of the Blind meetings

The engagement consisted of learning more about the interests and needs of our various customers and stakeholders. In addition we reviewed and analyzed data that we had from our annual customer satisfaction surveys. We then took information that we gathered from stakeholders and staff and worked with the State Library Board to draft the actual plan. The board reviewed a draft at their March meeting and then approved at their April meeting.

One of the most common things we heard as we met with stakeholders was a need for additional continuing education opportunities as well as support for staff attendance at various conferences. Based on this feedback, improving the State Library’s continuing education program for library staff across Oregon through programming that is relevant and responsive to user needs is one of our top priorities and we have budgeted $10,000 to support attendance at the REFORMA National Conference in 2021. We will be conducting a needs assessment to determine the priorities for continuing education, and based on the previous engagement with stakeholders, it is likely that learning opportunities related to antiracist practices, equity, diversity, and inclusion will be one of the top priorities. This also aligns with the OLA EDI Taskforce recommendations and we look forward to partnering with OLA on this where it makes sense to do so.

The external environment shifted so rapidly since the time that our strategic plan was adopted, we know that what is going to be most critical going forward is to remain as flexible and responsive to shifting needs and priorities as possible and we look forward to further engagement with the Oregon library community as we begin implementing priority initiatives and pivoting as needed.

Best,
Jennifer

Jennifer Patterson
State Librarian
Pronouns: she/her/hers
jennifer.l.patterson at state.or.us<mailto:jennifer.l.patterson at state.or.us>
Office: 503-378-4367 | Cell: 971-375-2713
www.oregon.gov/library
Follow us: Facebook<http://fb.me/StateLibraryOR> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/StateLibraryOR> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/statelibraryor/> | Pinterest<https://pinterest.com/statelibraryor/>

[Title: State Library of Oregon]