[TL-Directors] Library service in light of new masking rules

NIELSEN Buzzy * SLO Buzzy.NIELSEN at slo.oregon.gov
Fri May 14 15:11:13 PDT 2021

Directors,

Several of you have asked about implications for libraries from the Center for Disease Control & Prevention's (CDC) recent update<https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/fully-vaccinated.html> and Governor Brown's announcement<https://www.opb.org/article/2021/05/13/oregon-covid-19-vaccine-mask-mandate/> that masking will not be required in most public places for fully-vaccinated individuals. At this point, we don't have much more information than you do. However, we have been told by the State that the Oregon Health Authority (OHA) is working on updating the statewide mask guidance. Oregon Occupational Safety and Health (OSHA) will also be updating the employer guidance.

Until the updated guidance comes out, we encourage libraries to continue requiring masks for employees and patrons. Given that we don't know exactly what the new official OHA and OSHA guidance will entail, it's best to continue current practices so that you can make any necessary changes informed by the specifics of the updated guidance. Some patrons likely will have questions or be angry about the continued requirement, but until more details are known, the safety of library workers and vulnerable populations continues to be paramount.

We are continuing to update the Statewide COVID-19 Advice for the Library Sector<https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/ld.php?content_id=59410902>, but guidelines change rapidly, as this recent decision shows. We hope to have it out soon. Among other things, the updated advice document will have changes to cleaning practices and programming recommendations, in addition to the new recommendation from OHA that quarantining returned materials is no longer necessary. In the meantime, here is an official document<https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/ld.php?content_id=57803303> explaining OHA's new quarantine recommendations, should you need it to justify changes in your local procedures.

You have all been presented with such tough decisions throughout the pandemic, and we here at the State Library continually marvel at the thoughtfulness and humanity with which you all approach your work. Thank you for all that you do, and please let us know if there are other ways we can support you.

Stay safe, stay healthy,

Buzzy Nielsen, MPP, MSI (he/him/his)
Program Manager, Library Support & Development Services
State Library of Oregon
bnielsen at slo.oregon.gov<mailto:bnielsen at slo.oregon.gov> | 971-375-3486
www.oregon.gov/library/libraries<https://www.oregon.gov/library/libraries>
Follow us: Facebook<http://fb.me/StateLibraryOR> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/StateLibraryOR> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/statelibraryor/> | Pinterest<https://pinterest.com/statelibraryor/> | YouTube<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-kU8Gu0jS_YcnXg-b_TRA/featured>

[cid:image001.png at 01D748D3.60A62700]