[gis_info] interactive GIS web maps question

karsten vennemann karsten at terragis.net
Tue Apr 7 21:05:16 PDT 2009

Sorry for the empty emails before...
Here it goes ...

Hi Erik,

there are many option in open source Web GIS and I encourage you to look at
a JavaScript client called OpenLayers (OL)  <http://www.openlayers.org>
www.openlayers.org . OL can be used to pull in data from many sources
including base street maps such as Google, and Microsoft Virtual Earth and
your own data.

One of the most important/far reaching decisions for your project will be if
you will want/ or have to publish your own data... If so  you have to have
some kind of server where you can install your software (for example a map
rendering engine such as MapServer or Geoserver) host the data (and database
e.g. PostGIS. Below is a list of some options for servers:

>From most expensive (1) to cheapest (4) here are some options for a GIS
server:

1. Amazon EC2server 10c/US /hour = about $72 US /month
<http://aws.amazon.com/ec2/> http://aws.amazon.com/ec2/
2. "web assisted hosting" - everything installed:
<http://www.hostgis.com/assisted/> http://www.hostgis.com/assisted/ (50$ a
month is cheap for this ! )
3.  <http://www.slicehost.com/> http://www.slicehost.com/ virtual server
"slice" starting at 20$/month
4. "Shared hosting" Account e.g. at Dreamhost for 5.95 - 9.95 $ US/month
<http://www.dreamhost.com> http://www.dreamhost.com
With Code "ZPULLEYFULL" (compare
<http://www.reprojected.com/geoblog/category/gis-projects/>
http://www.reprojected.com/geoblog/category/gis-projects/ ) then the first
year is only  23$ US (Code discount is $97 US!). To install something there
is a little tricky, but here are instructions to do it:
<http://www.reprojected.com/geoblog/how-tos/gis-on-a-shared-hosting-environm
ent-the-magic-of-not-having-root/>
http://www.reprojected.com/geoblog/how-tos/gis-on-a-shared-hosting-environme
nt-the-magic-of-not-having-root/

Below is an extract from an email I sent yo other people asking me about