[gis_info] Query about funding

SMITH Cy * EISPD GEO cy.smith at state.or.us
Thu Oct 20 15:59:01 PDT 2011

>From the State perspective, we use a variety of funding streams.  Part
of my job as State GIO is to find funding streams and combine them
effectively to provide geospatial data and services to the enterprise of
government agencies in Oregon...and to the public to the greatest extent
possible.  So we use General Fund, Lottery Funds, Federal Funds and
anything else that I can find, including public/private partnerships, to
fund the development of standardized authoritative datasets.  That's the
largest single component of our expenses, with operational expenses like
salary and infrastructure being much smaller and provided mainly through
General Fund.

There has been a lot of research done over the last few years that
indicates a significant return on investment from using GIS to develop
geospatial data and making geospatial data available to the public.
I've attached a document that was put together several years ago with
some ideas about funding GIS.  It relies on the concept that there is
inherent value that accrues from the use of GIS and the widespread
distribution of geospatial data at minimal or no cost.

I have been part of a recent project to develop a standardized
methodology for measuring ROI that has accrued from the development and
use of GIS technology and geospatial data.  We hired a renowned
economist, Dr. Richard Zerbe who operates the Benefit Cost Center in the
Evans School of Public Affairs at the University of Washington, to
develop this methodology and test it in King County for us.  The King
County GIS has been in operation for 20 years.  They are analyzing the
data now and I expect a report in the next month or two.  After that,
we're going to test the methodology in Multnomah County and at the State
level to see what ROI has accrued in a much shorter timeframe from the
development and implementation of the Virtual USA Common Operating
Picture for public safety agencies.  The development of the methodology
is a URISA initiative and will be available to the GIS community as soon
as it's been fully tested, probably sometime next Spring.

cy

Cy Smith, Oregon State GIO

DAS/EISPD Geospatial Enterprise Office

President, Urban/Regional Info Sys Assoc. (URISA)

Secretary, Coalition of Geospatial Organizations (COGO)

Past President, Natl. States Geographic Info. Council (NSGIC)

503-378-6066          http://gis.oregon.gov